Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

tracing a burial

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Feb 2017 16:34

I am wondering if anybody could advise me where to look for somebody buried in 1948 I have the death certificate and understand it could have been a communial grave but don't know where to start looking for where the person was buried any ideas where to go next would be appreciated thanks

PatW

PatW Report 12 Feb 2017 16:58

My great, great grandmother died in Preston Lancashire so I took the death certificate to the council cemetery and they looked in their records and found the burial. Unfortunately she was also buried in a communial grave but they gave me a map and I found it. It was only a large plot of land with no markers so wasn't very helpful.
Pat

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Feb 2017 17:17

Try the parks and cemeteries dept of the local council ,give them the details from the death cert

Councils keep good records and can give the row and plot nos of any grave even if it's a common grave . They can name all those buried in the grave even tho there's no markers

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Feb 2017 17:40

http://www.deceasedonline.com/ is quite good....if they've been allowed access to the registers.

The free search will give you the general geographical area of the country, but you do now need to buy at least £5 of credits to view the date of burial and cemetery name. It won't use up your credit which you could use to view the register, if you thought the cemetery area was likely.

Eg
Percy Arthur Shuter
Cremated On: 05 August 1965
Recorded in: Greenwich
Date of death 31 July 1965

Note - a 1948 burial wouldn't necessarily show the date of death. In the above example, I happen to know that the Crematorium was in Eltham. That would show on buying credits