Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing ancestors born abroad (Sweden)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kala

Kala Report 27 Feb 2017 20:13

Hi there,

My great, great grandather - Charles Nilsson - was born in Sweden around 1858. He then moved to the UK some years later and started a family with Catherine Fellows from Birmingham although they moved to Gateshead.

In the 1891 census he under the place of birth "Sweden *British Subject*". Does this mean he was born to british parents in Sweden? I'm really struggling to get any further with this and I would love to know more so if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Feb 2017 20:19

Were there previous 'Threads', am sure I had replied on them...

Chris :)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1364462

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1364472

Kala

Kala Report 27 Feb 2017 21:54

Thanks Chris, I'm sorry I have missed your replies there - I've popper a reply over to you :-) If i could only find Charles' birth certificate it would make everything so much easier but its just proving completely impossible. I've tried searching Swedish records and British records but all to no avail.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Mar 2017 02:54

Well his surname is definitely Scandinavian.

My paternal grandparents were German and they have the same thing written on the 1891 census ie born Germany British subjects

I looked for naturalisation records at Kew but couldn't find any. I enquired as was told that for the 1891 the enumerator would ask foreign born ." Do you have the right to be here " if they answered yes the the wording British subject was put on the census

It didn't mean they were had bristish ancestry or been naturalised

Edit looking at your previous threads it does show that he was naturalised in 1906