Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deceased Aunt

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

illy

illy Report 11 Mar 2017 21:07

Apologies if this is in the wrong place , i am new to this.

I have recently been helping my ailing grandmother to trace her family tree. During this process she revealed to me that she had a daughter, who passed away shortly after birth in 1956. My grandmother suffered some very serious medical issues following the birth and as such has no idea what happened to her daughter.

The hospital in question is no longer open and i've had no luck finding burial or cremation records.
I do have copies of the birth and death registers.

Can anybody help as to how i would proceed here? my gran isnt in the best of health and her wish is to lay some flowers in memory of her little girl.

Than you all.

patchem

patchem Report 11 Mar 2017 22:14

This is from a quick google search, try for yourself for other general information:

http://www.brieflives-remembered.co.uk/page_2555949.html

also this:

https://www.sands.org.uk/sites/default/files/SANDS-TRACING-A-BABYS-GRAVE-OR-CREMATION%20RECORD_0.pdf

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2017 22:43

If the baby died in hospital soon after birth then sadly at that time it was often the case that the baby would be put in with an adult who had died at the same time and no record would be kept .

If your gran has no idea of a funeral then it's likely that's what happened to the baby

Does the death cert give any clues .

You could try the parks and cemeteries of the local council giving them the details from the cert

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 12 Mar 2017 00:23

You could try the following database to find where the records for the closed hospital are now kept.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/

Good luck
Chris

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Mar 2017 11:15

You could try the nearest church to the address on the death certificate where your grandmother lived at the time, as a lot of people were buried in churchyards at that time. If the church is no longer there the County Records Office for the area may have records from the church. Since you know the exact date of death I would imagine that any burial would be within a week of the death as things happened a bit quicker than they do today.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Mar 2017 17:34

Wouldn't it was more likely a burial would be in a municipal cemetery rather than a churchyard

Many churches were built in the Victorian age so the cemeteries went out of room

Newer churches didn't have their own churchyards .

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Mar 2017 22:38

Google the local government where the hospital was.
The site should give you contact info for the dept that looks after cemeteries.