Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what was a shilterman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alain

Alain Report 14 Mar 2017 01:47

On my great grand mothers marriage cert it stated her deceased fathers as a Shilterman does anyone know what this was.
Many Thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Mar 2017 02:42

are you sure it is shilterman and not shelterman?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Mar 2017 07:11

Have you found him on a Census to check, if you want to give his name etc., we can perhaps look...

Chris :)

(saw reference Shilter as in Coal Miner, on 1911, on image says Shifter, below from google search, just as an example)

Shifters
men who repair the horse-ways and other passages in the mine, and keep them free from obstructions.

greyghost

greyghost Report 14 Mar 2017 14:35

If you google along the lines of "old occupations" several websites come up. None have a Shilter and only 2 of the 5 I looked at have a Shifter -

http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/family-history/old-occupations.php
Shifter - Miner paid day rate per shift, usually on repair work

http://www.familytreeassociation.org/q-s1.html
A mining term for a person who kept the underground passageways clear

Alain

Alain Report 16 Mar 2017 00:02

Thank you to everyone who answer my query you were all a big help much appreciated thought it was to do with the mines but was not certain. Cheers everyone

Alain

Alain Report 22 Mar 2017 00:19

Many Thanks to all who answered my thread you were all a big help and it was much appreciated.

Alain