Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Meg53

Meg53 Report 17 Mar 2017 15:08

John Grinnell b1826 in Cheltenham, England died in Dec 1883. Administration of his personal estate (£510) was granted to his brother, Thomas on 14 Jan 1884. Then 15 years later in 1899 probate on his estate of £122 15s is granted to his nephew John Dando. It does acknowledge that an earlier grant was made. I don't understand what is happening here. Is anyone able to explain please?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 17 Mar 2017 15:56

There is a probate record for Thomas Grinnell death 17May1899.
Could the grant to the nephew be for the residual of his brother John's estate - which would not be incorporated into his own estate?

Meg53

Meg53 Report 17 Mar 2017 16:09

Thanks for your research. That would sound logical. Why would it not be incorporated into his own estate? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I thought if you administered someone's estate you gave it to his next of kin or whoever it was left to in a will.

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Mar 2017 16:28

Could it be that some of the estate of John was to be given to person or persons when they reached a certain age and when Thomas died in 1889, that age hadn't been reached, so John Dando took on the dispersal of those legacies.

Although John's estate is Administration to Thomas - no will mentioned, that of Thomas is Administration with will so it might be worth getting at least that one to see if all is explained within.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 17 Mar 2017 16:29

Just because someone is administrator/executor does not in itself confer any rights over the estate.
You would need to order a copy of the will - if there was one.

My guess for what it is worth. There MAY have been a property involved. Possibly a cottage or a piece of land.

And if so, might it have been in Vernon Place? And previously belonged to his father Samuel? My reasoning:- 1856 His address at marriage is Vernon Place. This address is stated on the probate and also on his two burial records that are online. (one shows Vernon Place, one shows Vernon Cottage, Bath Street)

Meg53

Meg53 Report 17 Mar 2017 16:41

Ah yes, thank you. It makes sense now. There were properties in the family on an earlier will that had been handed down the generations. There was also a John Dando b 1874 Cheltenham in a home for crippled boys in Kensington in 1891. I wonder if the money was originally to pay his fees - not sure yet whether it is the same John Dando.