Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probate puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frank

Frank Report 21 Mar 2017 08:37

Hi
I wonder if someone could explain why a late aunt's will was granted probate in Llandudno in 1944,, when she died in Hackney in London?

I can only assume that the probate office was relocated because of the bombing.

Regards
Frank

Andrew

Andrew Report 21 Mar 2017 08:54

That correct. Many wartime probates are Llandudno.

Andy

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Mar 2017 10:20

As Andrew says a lot of wartime probates are from Llandudno. For any will the thing to remember is that probate can be granted anywhere and most executors go to their nearest office rather than to the area the deceased person lived. OH and I got probate for my father and both my parents in law at our nearest office which was quite a long way from where they lived and died.

Frank

Frank Report 21 Mar 2017 10:45

Hi Andy

Many thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Frank

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2017 13:12

Not relevant to Franks' question - but just to add -

that probate advice applies to England and Wales.

In Scotland one applies for "confirmation", not "probate", and it must be applied for in the area where the deceased person last lived.