Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 letter/column meaning?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 20 Apr 2017 18:34

hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me,

looking at my great grandparents in the 1939 register...

My grandads sister on the original image is there but just on the next page under 'see instructions' there is a letter B.

It is not on every column and I am guessing it means something...
I know that she died at a young age but I am unsure why, so this might be a clue towards something...

Can anyone help??

many thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Apr 2017 18:38

Need the info so can take a look at it :-)

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 20 Apr 2017 20:05

Thanks shirley,

The search that I done was for Charlotte Elizabeth Johnson born 1895,
living at 66 Church street, Wolverton, Bucks.

The record I am looking at is Charlotte's daughter Reita, at the bottom of the list ...

hope you can see what I am explaining ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Apr 2017 21:24

Ok looking on the National Archives site those records on the right page are codes used for National Registration and National Health Services purposes

They have no access to the different codes records to say what they mean

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 20 Apr 2017 21:39

OOOOHHH i wish there was a way of finding out??

thanks for your help Shirley!

it doesnt mean Blind, does it?

Anybody???

Clutching at straws here :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Apr 2017 21:50

Well she is down as occupation unpaid domestic duties ie housework and general home duties probably assisting her mum

Would,have thought if she had any disability that would have been recorded instead

The B is under the instructions column and not part of the personal info

Kense

Kense Report 20 Apr 2017 22:38

In the few records I can access there are three entries that have a B next to them. In all cases it is for a girl "at school" and born in 1924 or 1925. Next to the B are two digits which correspond to the last two digits of the birth year.

I suspect it is highlighting the fact that the girls may be available for some form of service (Land Girls, ATS etc) in a year or two.

Kense

Kense Report 20 Apr 2017 22:55

I have found another which was a male born 1922, there are no year digits next to the B, his occupation is horseman on a farm. So spoils my theory.

Kense

Kense Report 21 Apr 2017 10:34

This Wikipedia entry may have a clue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Registration_Act_1939

See heading Class Codes.

Identity Cards for those aged between 16 and 21 were marked B. Presumably the 1939 register entry shows those whose cards would be marked B or those children due to get adult cards marked B in the near future.

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 21 Apr 2017 18:23

Excellent thanks everybody for your help :-)