Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Place near Enniskillen,Fermanagh,Ireland.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 25 Apr 2017 09:20

I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of this area, or someone who's good at deciphering handwriting, can help me.I'm looking for a place that appears to be similar to Achanaugh,Ashauragh,Ashanagh, in the Enniskillen area.I've Googled it,and looked up Google maps etc. but nothing has come up that's even remotely similar.

It's taken from the record of Ann McManus,(C1833-1906) who arrived in Port Phillip Bay,Victoria ,Australia on the 25th of February 1850 on the "Derwent" which was an
immigrant ship for Irish female orphans.She was a 17 year old nursemaid.

I would be grateful for any help. Thank you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Apr 2017 09:51

It doesn't look like it starts with an a if you look a few entries above how Antrim is written

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Apr 2017 09:55

Have a look at this list and see if anything looks likely:-

https://www.yell.com/l/towns-a.html

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Apr 2017 09:56

Try this one too

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_townlands_in_County_Fermanagh

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 25 Apr 2017 10:08

Many thanks,Kathleen and Shirley,nothing's really jumped out at me so far.I guess I'll just go back to the shipping record and try to decipher it. Thank you anyway. :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Apr 2017 10:15

Is it possible for you to put the image into your "keepsafe" and make it public and add a link to the page on here so that we can have a look at the image?

Kath. x

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 25 Apr 2017 10:27

I agree Shirley,the A in Antrim is written differently,but the first letter of that word looks like an A. So far I've got

Ashauagh

Athauagh

Ashanagh

Athanagh

Back to the lists of place names and Town lands in Fermanagh!!!

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 25 Apr 2017 10:37

Kathleen I would love to do that if I could,but I honestly don't know how to do that.I actually have the image of the record on my tree on Ancestry,and I've just been looking at that,and going backwards and forwards between the 2 sites.I wish I was better at this!!

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 25 Apr 2017 11:54

I think I have solved it now.I Googled Townlands of Enniskillen,and the only word that came up which ended with agh or similar was Claranagh.I checked it on Griffiths Valuations and there was a Francis McManus living in Claranagh.Mystery solved.That's the only word it could be,it must be a tiny little Townland.Thank you both,Kathleen and Shirley for your help,3 heads are definitely better than one!! :-D :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Apr 2017 13:36

Well done!! Glad you got it sorted.

Kath. x