Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bury St Edmunds - help to look up records needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 27 May 2017 22:07

Does anyone live near the record office in Bury St Edmunds who could look up a record for me?

I am looking for information on my great grandfather who was born at the unmarried mothers home, on mustow street. in bury st Edmunds.

I am wondering if there might be any records there which might indicate who his father was. I have a big hole in my family tree which I would desperately love to fill!

I live in the north and cannot get there myself to take a look. If anyone is local and could help I would appreciate it!

Many Thanks
Mary

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 May 2017 06:31

If such records have survived I would think they would be confidential and not open to the public

If no father is named on the birth cert it's unlikely you will find the father's name

She may have applied for and affiliation order ,also known as a bastardy order, for maintenance.,you could look for that

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 28 May 2017 06:34

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1366445

(also on Find Ancestors above)

Chris :)

Mary

Mary Report 28 May 2017 10:39

I've never heard of an affiliation order. Thanhs.
Howwhere would I find out about it?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 May 2017 11:38

Not sure but this may help

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/bastardy-documents-parish-poor-law/140/

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 28 May 2017 11:45

Have added a reply to the thread on the Find Ancestors board