Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Banghole! Anybody with Croydon Rellies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 15 Mar 2006 11:35

Has anybody heard of this area?

Carrie

Carrie Report 15 Mar 2006 11:49

sending a message via PM

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Mar 2006 11:56

If you Google the word it comes us with a result that says Wilford Road, (Banghole) Croydon. Kath. x

Jenny

Jenny Report 15 Mar 2006 12:01

LOL thanks Kath. Just did that and in amongst alot of East European sites just one lone english one......about exotic sex! Be careful what you google....lol

Heather

Heather Report 15 Mar 2006 12:12

lol Jenny I wonder what Pratts Bottom would bring up!

Jenny

Jenny Report 15 Mar 2006 12:15

Give it a try Heather! I did refine my original google and came up with places to avoid in Croydon. Maybe I should say that I do know about Banghole just wondered if anybody else did.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 15 Mar 2006 12:27

Wilford Road was West Croydon between Broad green and Thornton Heath Rail stations.

Anne

Anne Report 15 Mar 2006 12:29

OMG I hav'nt heard of the 'banghole' in years, l don't think they exist anymore, they must all be in their 50s by now, l used to know a buster (by name only) who went out with a girl who lived opposite me, was their hangout the park in Windmill Road or Boulogne Park? Anne

Jenny

Jenny Report 15 Mar 2006 12:37

Not sure what your meaning Anne. All I know is that Banghole or Bang all was the area around Forster/Wilford Rd known to be quite rough in the early 1900's. My Grandmother/Gt Grandmother came from this area. My Nan moved to Thornton Heath when she got married and basically stayed there all her life Do you still live in that area?

Anne

Anne Report 15 Mar 2006 14:52

Sorry Jennifer l do aim to confuse lol. ln the late 60s to late 70s the banghole were like a gang and Windmill Road and surrounding roads were Banghole, they must have broadened their area or moved. I remember in Union Road off Windmill Road there was a wall with Bang'ole written on it in white paint, they must have been the first to start the graffiti, when all the houses were knocked down at the top of Queens Road and in Windmill Road and an estate built gradually the name died out. I used to live in Cromwell Road, all the little houses there were knocked down as well and an estate built, l still live close to Croydon. I'm still no help am l - sorry Anne

Jenny

Jenny Report 15 Mar 2006 15:03

lol thats ok Anne. The name Banghole goes back alot further than 1960 and like I said it refers to the area Forster/Wilford Road. Don't know if your interested but there is a book called 'At the Precispice of Poverty, a Croydon Chronicle' by D. T.Blakely. Interesting reading but would win no prizes for literature....lol

Anne

Anne Report 15 Mar 2006 15:13

Thanks Jennifer, l did'nt realise it went back so far or covered such a wide area, a lot of people who worked in Surrey Street Market lived in the same area as me and l always assumed that a lot of them were bang'ole, l never knew it went all the way to Thornton Heath, l'll definately have a look at the book. Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2006 16:02

I grew up in Sanderstead and we went to Croydon for major shopping, and to the cinema and to the theatre/concerts. Never heard of Banghole, but I remember Surrey St Market well. nell

Jenny

Jenny Report 15 Mar 2006 18:15

Hi Helen Banghole was just a nickname for the area I believe Jenny

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2006 18:22

Not a nickname I knew. Reeves corner was always called Thieves Corner when I was a kid. And the junction in South Croydon between Croham Road, St Peter's Road and Selsdon Road was called Hannibal's Corner because of the chemist H.A. Noble (HANOBLE). nell

Jenny

Jenny Report 15 Mar 2006 18:29

Was a Name my Uncles and Aunts used often (mainly to tease my Nan I might add) but is also mentioned in the book I spoke of in earlier message

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Oct 2012 01:25

Rosalina

You have added your request to a very old thread.

Would be better to start your own

GB

Valerie

Valerie Report 6 Nov 2016 13:58

Hi

My father came from Banghole in Croydon,he told me it was all the streets by Croydon workhouse.