Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grave Inscription - FAO Zoe in London or Merry or

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 20 Feb 2006 15:04

I've got a challenge for you now. My dad gave me a grave inscription that he'd got from somewhere. He belives they family on the grave are related to us. I haven't been able to go far enough back yet to see if this is the case and I've had a little play to see what I could find from the names and dates on the inscription. To be honest it wasn't much of an attempt but I thought I would throw it out to you folks as a fun thing to do. Now feel free to have a bash but don't go wasting credits etc as I'm not really sure they are related and, well, you have all done enough for me already. Here is the inscription: ------ To the loving memory of Cathering Gill wife of William Gill (Master Mariner) of Douglas. (Formerly of Castletown) Died 27th May 1861 William Gill of Douglas. Died 18th May 1883 In loving memory or their son Henry GIll Mate of the Brig (Planter) Was bound to White Haven, who fell from the main yard of the vessel and was drowned in Dublin Bay. March 5th 1859. Aged 20 years. Elizabeth Gill. Daughter of the above who died June 15th 1903 ------- I did a search on the Brig Planter a while ago and got a list of slaves that were taken on board on one journey. I found it quite interesting and a little weird to think that a relative could be involved in the slave trade. Anyway that's all I have.

Merry

Merry Report 20 Feb 2006 15:14

First bit? 1861 Isle of Man census: Elizabeth Gill abt 1836 Castletown, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Daughter Conchan Isle of Man John Robert Gill abt 1847 Douglas Son Conchan Isle of Man William Gill abt 1809 Castletown, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Head Conchan Isle of Man This William is shown as married, occupation sailor (wife not there). There are a couple of other William and Catherine pairings, but wrong occupations and this one has the mention of Castletown. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 20 Feb 2006 15:27

The daughter, is still single in 1881, but the father isn't with her :o(( Elizabeth Gill abt 1838 C Town, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Head 15 Drinkwater St, Onchan, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Merry

Ian

Ian Report 20 Feb 2006 15:30

You lot are wicked. :) So how do I take this information and go forward. What are the best tips you can give for this type of research?

Merry

Merry Report 20 Feb 2006 15:33

I'm not sure it's right.....can't make a match, mum and dau in 1851 :o(( Merry

Zoe

Zoe Report 20 Feb 2006 15:34

1871 Elizth Gill abt 1836 Castletown, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Daughter [Douglas] Isle of Man Wm Gill abt 1808 Castletown, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Head [Douglas] Isle of Man

Zoe

Zoe Report 20 Feb 2006 15:39

1851 Catherine Gell abt 1811 Castletown, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Wife Conchan Isle of Man Edward Gell abt 1843 Douglas, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Son Conchan Isle of Man Elizabeth Gell abt 1835 Castletown, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Daughter Conchan Isle of Man Henry Gell abt 1840 Castletown, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Son Conchan Isle of Man John Gell abt 1847 Douglas, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Son Conchan Isle of Man William Gell abt 1804 Castleton, Isle of Man, Isle of Man Head Conchan Isle of Man

Merry

Merry Report 20 Feb 2006 15:44

Oh, well done Zoe! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 20 Feb 2006 15:48

Oh LOL - looks as if he may have married his relation! So, Ian, are you related to these people twice over? WILLIAM GILL Marriages: Spouse: CATHARINE GELL Marriage: 07 AUG 1831 Malew, Isle Of Man, England Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record Merry

Ian

Ian Report 20 Feb 2006 15:48

So are these the same people just with surnames spelt differently with minor changes to DOB etc or are they completley different people?

Ian

Ian Report 20 Feb 2006 15:50

No idea if I'm related to them although we have traced back to liverpool so far so it could be possible. We don't have abnormalities though so not sure if we are descendents of people that liked to keep it in the family. We're all mad though. :)

Jane

Jane Report 20 Feb 2006 15:57

Ian, I'm hooked ... love wild goose chases! What's the name of your earliest known ancestor? (ie Grandfather or Gt Grandfather GILL) Jane

Zoe

Zoe Report 20 Feb 2006 16:01

I'm hooked too - but I leave work in 3 minutes so I may have to catch up when I get home

Ian

Ian Report 20 Feb 2006 16:04

Were struggling here to get past my great granddad. John Thomas Gill = Annie (Not sure of her surname) They had 5 children Jean, Ronald (My grandfather), Charles, Edward and Tommy My dad remembers meeting John Thomas in Liverpool so we presume he lived there.

Jane

Jane Report 20 Feb 2006 16:15

Ian, Any dates? Like when your grandfather was born ... Jane

Ian

Ian Report 20 Feb 2006 16:19

sorry just realise that i hadn't added dates. That's the problem with ahving a two year old crawling over you. Grandad was born 30/11/1924 As to his parents I have no idea

Jane

Jane Report 20 Feb 2006 16:22

Ian, OK thanks ... that means I'm looking for a John Thomas born around 20+ years earlier .... Jane

Jane

Jane Report 20 Feb 2006 16:39

Sorry Ian, I'm admitting defeat here .... the only dates you have are too (ahem!) recent! None of the free online resources can deal with this - and I'm out of guesses! GILL is a pretty common surname on the Isle of Man (and elsewhere) so there are no easy pickings - guess you might have realised that too! Isle of Man BMDs are not listed on FreeBMD - yay, I've learnt something new today!! The way forward as I'm sure you know is to find a marriage cert for your Gt Grandparents ... which is probably in about 1920. Then you'll at least have a name from your Gtx2 Grandpa - hopefully he'll have been called something really unusual like Leopold and then we can find him easily. (You think I jest - there's one IoM GILL family member with a 'Caesar' as his middle name!!) Hope you haven't been mugged by your 2-year old yet ..... and happy hunting! Jane

Ian

Ian Report 20 Feb 2006 16:46

OMG is there really a Gill with the name Caesar? That's so weird. I play american football for the Nottingham Caesars. One of the little things we like to say is 'Caesar till we die.' It looks like he was a Caesar till he died. :) This side of the family is the one I'm struggling to get very far with which is unfortunate as it's my surname and the one I'd like to go the furthest with.

moe

moe Report 20 Feb 2006 17:36

Ian where was your grandad/great grandad born? was it the IoM or Liverpool? there are a few john Gills on the 1911 trade directory,(Liverpool) i will put them on anyway, you may recognise an address, John Gill 32 Lamb St kirkdale.N John Gill 22 Hale Rd Walton N john Gill Bookbinder 8 Cameron St E John Gill Clerk 11 Streatham Ave Toxteth Park. John Gill Dockgateman 62 Bentinek St Birkenhead. John Gill Painter 99 Alwyn st S John Gill Police constable 69 Wharncliffe rd Old Swan. John Gill Seaman 13 gothic rd Rock Ferry Mrs Annie Gill Brooklyn 9 Meols Drive hoylake Mrs Annie Gill 40 Copley St Everton Mrs Annie Gill Broker 102 Soho St