Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jeremiah Colman - The Mustard King

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 8 Jan 2006 15:14

Hi All I was wondering if anyone has Jeremiah in there tree, family rumours imply that my wifes family of Forrest are somehow connected with the Colman family, this maybe have to be taken with a pinch of salt or maybe mustard. I have trawled the net for some details of Jeremiah so as I can make a start but unfortunaly other than he started his mustard business in 1814 I can find no further info that leads anwhere. If anyone can give me a push in the right direction I would be most greatful. Yours Chris

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Jan 2006 15:17

You can try checking if he's anyone else's tree by searching his name on this site. nell

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Jan 2006 15:18

found this on the waitrose website, you could try to find out how his great nephew Jeremiah James Colman fits in with things. It says he was elected mayor in 1868 so you could follow him through the census http://www.waitrose(.)com/food_drink/wfi/ingredients/herbsspicesseasoningsandcondiments/0004112(.)asp

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Jan 2006 15:23

Got him in 1871 transcribed on ancestry as Jeremiah I Colman Caroline Colman abt 1832 Letheringsett, Norfolk, England Wife Norwich Norfolk View Record Ethel M Colman abt 1863 Norwich, Norfolk, England Daughter Norwich Norfolk View Record Florence E Colman abt 1870 Norwich, Norfolk, England Daughter Norwich Norfolk View Record Helen C Colman abt 1866 Norwich, Norfolk, England Daughter Norwich Norfolk View Record Jeremiah I Colman abt 1831 Stoke Holy Cross, Norfolk, England Head Norwich Norfolk View Record Lana C H Colman abt 1867 Norwich, Norfolk, England Son Norwich Norfolk View Record Laura E Colman abt 1860 Norwich, Norfolk, England Daughter Norwich Norfolk View Record Russell J Colman abt 1862 Norwich, Norfolk, England Son Norwich Norfolk RG 10 /1814 ED17 Pg 17 Folio 141 His occupation is given as (I think) MP & Magistrate, Landowner Manufacturer of mustard & employs 1200 hands (?).

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 8 Jan 2006 15:24

Have you tried contacting the Norwich FHS (google). They may well know someone researching Colmans. You can also put a message on the Colman family history board. Just change one of the names in your family tree to Colman and then use it to post a message. Generally family history is much easier if you work backwards.

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Jan 2006 15:32

Also, found the original one as well !851 census in Norwich Jeremiah Colman, Head, 73, Mustard manufacturer, b Norwich Ann Colman, Wife, 73, b. ? Norfolk with servants & sister in law. Living in Heigham, Norwich.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Jan 2006 15:40

I think the Norfolk Roots magazine had an article about them some time ago - try looking at their website.

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Jan 2006 15:40

Also, in 1851 Jeremiah Colman, Head, U, 43, Mustard & Starch Mfr, b Rickland, Norfolk Ann Long, Serv, U, 40, Houseserva nt, b Ingham, Norfolk @ St Martin Vinty, Middlesex. (I can't make out the house name)

Deb

Deb Report 8 Jan 2006 15:50

Hi Chris, I have a book called 'The Story of Norwood' and they say he was a buried at west Norwood cemetery. I had a look at the Corrigenda at the front of the book and it reads - 'Subsequent research has found that Jeremiah Coleman was not buried here.' - It still maybe the case though that he did have links with the area. Worth a try??? Debbie

Roderick

Roderick Report 28 Feb 2015 04:45

Does anyone know if 3 generations of Henry Freeman Coleman have any connection with the Mustard Coleman family.
The first Henry would have been born around 1760 perhaps and the last Henry Freeman George Coleman b1829.
The last married Charlotte Tilke Mills. She later became the wife of Alexander Frederick McAdam and inherited Craigengillan Estate just out of Dalmellington in Scotand.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Feb 2015 09:43

Only by researching will such info be found

Have to say it seems very unlikely

Roderick

Roderick Report 28 Feb 2015 23:25

I have just realised the names are spelt differently. A little matter of an "e".
This and other factors tend to indicate if there is a connection it is very remote, despite what has been written in other places.