Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canal Boatmen / Families Surname Jones & Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heidi

Heidi Report 8 Dec 2004 19:58

Please could anyone help with obtaining info for canal boatmen and their families? My grandmother, Harriet Jones was born on a canal barge at The Bridge in Brewood 1909, parents David (listed as Thomas on marriage cert) and Mary Ann Smith. Marriage cert states parents as living at Hardings Wood on the Trent & Mersey Canal. Think they settled in Tipton after 1915. Harriet's brothers and sisters that I know of were Selena, Mary Ann, George, Thomas & Arthur. George settled in Braunston, Selena in Southall, and Thomas in Stourport. All born in the late 1800's, early 1900's. Does anyone have links with canal boat familes for these surnames? Any help or info much appreciated. Regards, Heidi

Heather

Heather Report 8 Dec 2004 20:12

Genuki site has a Canal People link.

Heidi

Heidi Report 19 Dec 2004 20:54

Heidi

Heidi Report 13 Apr 2005 23:45

still struggling with info on this, can anyone help please?

Judy

Judy Report 14 Apr 2005 05:01

Heidi This might help www(.)canaljunction(.)com/craftbarges.htm then click on Heritage. Might not help with names but will give some history i.e. areas in which to search. Happy hunting Judy

Heidi

Heidi Report 14 Apr 2005 23:11

Heather & Judy, Thank you very much for your replies. I will look into them :0) Regards, Heidi

Heidi

Heidi Report 24 Feb 2006 20:29

I am still trying with this one! Can anyone help please, or does anyone have a link? Cheers, Heidi :0)

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 25 Feb 2006 09:16

Hello Heidi Go onto roots and subscribe to CANAL-PEOPLE-D Digest and leave a message there, you will receive them by e-mail, try http://www.virtualwaterways(.)co(.)uk/Home.html http://www.bargeman(.)co(.)uk/ also there is a chap who keeps a list of canal and river boatman ( Inland Waterway Index), let me know and I will send it on Elaine

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 25 Feb 2006 09:27

Heidi this will give you loads of links http://www.canals(.)com/resource.htm Elaine

Merry

Merry Report 25 Feb 2006 09:30

Have you found them on the 1901 census (she asks in trepidation????) When was the parents marriage? Merry

Dea

Dea Report 25 Feb 2006 09:57

Elaine, I am looking for info on several relatives who were bargemen + watermen - You mention a man with a list of canal + river boatmen - could you let me have the details too please? Thanks Dea x

Heidi

Heidi Report 25 Feb 2006 21:31

Hello Merry, No I haven't found them on the 1901 Census unfortunately. The only one I could find was 1881 Census listed as docked at Hardings Wood on the Trent & Mersey Canal, and that was from the Waterways Index. What makes it more difficult, is that my granmothers father is listed as Thomas Jones on her birth Certificate, but on marriage certificate is named David, and family members have confirmed that he went by the name David. Not sure if this was an error on the birth certificate, as my gran was the only one who went to school, I believe her parents could not read or write, as certificates are marked with a cross instead of their signature. Thanks, Heidi

Heidi

Heidi Report 25 Feb 2006 21:32

Hello Elaine, Thanks for the info, I will look into it. I already have a list from the Waterways Index, it's from a gentleman named John Roberts based in Birmingham. I have also been on the Rootsweb mailing list for a few years. Thanks again, Heidi

Willsy once more

Willsy once more Report 26 Feb 2006 08:56

Me too Heidi on both counts from your last message. I am looking fo Warrens from Leicester and Northampton Pinfold...Northampton Powell...based in Leicester but may have been born in Sheffield Robinson...Leicester just in case! Elaine

Heidi

Heidi Report 23 Mar 2006 10:30

Nudge

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 18 Aug 2006 16:37

WAs going to start a thread but spotted this one... Have just noticed this on Warwickshire FHS site http://www.wfhs.org.uk/html/cd-rom.html: << New & updated - available from 10th November A compilation of memories, census returns, parish registers etc., of canal boat families in Warwickshire. >> I think this is the relevant price info: <<The price is £4 per CD-ROM plus £1 P&P (UK). Overseas orders should include 5 IRCs or £2 P&P. Cheques payable to WFHS please.>> Christine

Lynda Carol

Lynda Carol Report 18 Aug 2006 17:01

Don't know if this is any help. My rellies are the, very large, Firkins family, canal people.Although these are not directly related to me I have a frederick william james firkins marry a mary ann jones on the 14th aug 1893 in worcs, and sarah firkins marry edward jones 13th may 1893 and Hannah Firkins marry Thomas Jones 11th nov 1811.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 Aug 2006 17:30

I can't promise this will help everyone but here goes. British Waterways have quite an extensive archive of information (including photographs of people,places and boats). They also have some very useful records about who owned/operated and crewed boats before nationalisation of the waterways. Some useful names for canal companies and canal carriers; Fellows,Morton and Clayton (FMC) Grand Union Canal Carrying Company (GUCCO) Willow Wren Canal Carriers A list of some historic surviving working boats can be found at the historic working boat website www.HNBOC.org.uk Glen

Poirot

Poirot Report 18 Aug 2006 19:06

Is this any help to anyone ? Boatmen and Mariners Site: Canals, Inland Waterways, Coastal Shipping, Northern England. http(:)//townsleyb(.)members(.)beeb(.)net/Boatmen/namesa(.) html-51k ( remove brackets)

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Apr 2016 20:47

Vicky as you have noticed this is a very old thread, so really it might really be better to start a new thread of your own as your query may be lost here. It wil help if you give his rough DOB and the census entry you have for him :-) and any known children's names.

Have you got his marriage cert for his father's name?
Marriages Sep 1872 (>99%)
Raven Sarah Ann Southam 6d 919 Scan available - click to view
Smith Charles Southam 6d 919

Warwickshire Marriages Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription
First name(s) Charles
Last name Smith
Sex Male
Marital status Single
Residence Of This Parish
Marriage year 1872