Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tabram Siblings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darren

Darren Report 16 Oct 2004 16:12

Looking for information on Tabrams.. I have a Henry Tabraham 1812 in my tree, his son ... Henry Tabram 1834 (surname changed for some reason) he had a son called Alfred Tabram 1869 he had a son called Henry Tabram 1886 aka Harry who married a Florence Harrison, they were pearly King and Queen of Hoxton. The Hoxton/Shoreditch address is the only area I have for my Tabrams. I haven't found any siblings for these Tabram's and this is what I'm looking for if anyone can help. Darren

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 16 Oct 2004 16:48

Hello The name change is interesting because it has exactly the same structures as the change in name the biblical Abram whose name was changed to Abraham. Perhaps the "T" is a contraction of a prefix? (Like the P at the beginning of Welsh names is often a contraction of a son-of prefix: Probert/Robert, Pugh/Hugh and so on.) Christine

Darren

Darren Report 16 Oct 2004 20:22

Thanks, Something to think about. I forgot to mention I have never found any of this family on any census. I also have an address of 65 Philip St, Kingsland Rd, Shoreditch. for 1934. Can anyone help?

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 16 Oct 2004 21:27

Looking at that date - do you mean 1934? or 1834 (as your original thread-post)? In 1934, the first speculation would be that they were German and Jewish and had realised that Germany was not a safe place to be just then. Christine

Darren

Darren Report 16 Oct 2004 21:44

Henry Tabraham 1812 M Alicia??? his son ... Henry Tabram 1834 M Martha Amelia Mosley? his son Alfred Tabram 1869 M Rebecca (Neal or Moses) his son Henry Tabram 1886 M Florence Harrison, they were pearly King and Queen of Hoxton. They had my Nan Rebecca in 1918 born at 204 Hoxton St. The other address on the birth cert is 65 Philip st, Kingsland Rd, Shoreditch. The 1934 date was when the copy of the birth cert was issued. sorry my slip up. Thanks for all your help everyone, much appreciated. Darren

Darren

Darren Report 17 Oct 2004 17:49

Thanks, that looks like that could be the lot. Possibly unearthed a new name for me, Frederick Tabram age 1, perhaps a brother for Alfred Tabram 1869. How can I fill in the rest from here? Many thanks.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Oct 2004 01:23

Just a thought, but have you done a search for Jewish Family History Sites? I found a lot of info, both general and specific on my rellies, but they were all in Manchester. Im sure theres a similar site for London.

Darren

Darren Report 18 Oct 2004 20:12

I Haven't done a search for Jewish Family History Sites. As far as I know, and I have asked older relatives, all the Tabrams in my Tree have been English. I have not been able to find out the origin of the surname. I will check Jewish Family History Sites as I have nothing to lose. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 18 Oct 2004 20:37

Did you know that a Martha Tabram (probably the one on that 1871 census) was found murdered in Whitechapel in 1888 just before the start of the Jack the Ripper murders (sorry if you'd rather not have known that!). Carolyn

Darren

Darren Report 18 Oct 2004 20:42

I have been very aware of this information about the rippers Martha Tabram, and as they are from around the same area, you would think there would be a connection somewhere. I have seen the family tree of the Ripper's Martha Tabram and I haven't been able to make a connection with my tree. No one in the family knows of a connection, but there is a story(probably a tall one) of Florence meeting him one night when she went out to buy medicine for her children. If there was a connection, it is something that probably would have been kept a quiet as possible, so I'll probably never know.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 19 Oct 2004 00:48

Darren - I just automatically assumed with a name like Tabraham that they were of Jewish origin,( the name seems middle eastern to me.) Many Jews settled in Hoxton area in the early 1800s and many also concealed their Jewish ancestry, for obvious reasons. I always had a feeling that I had Jewish ancestry, but my father vehemently denied it (!). I found circumstantial evidence that a branch of my family changed its name from Greenbaum to Green when they arrived here in 1812 from "somewhere abroad". The fact that they were also master jewellers and money lenders added a bit of weight too!

Darren

Darren Report 19 Oct 2004 20:34

Thanks everyone, Chris, I think the second family of Tabrams are mine.. Alfred Tabram 40 Holloway, London, England Head Shoreditch London Tailor,2nd hand clothes dealer Elizabeth Tabram 12 Hoxton, London, England Daughter Shoreditch London Henry Tabram 14 Hoxton, London, England Son Shoreditch London Rebecca Tabram 36 St Luke, London, England Wife Shoreditch London 53 Custance? Street Shoreditch part of St. Johns Hoxton RG12/272 There should also be three more children.. Rebecca, Charles & Frederick What are the chances of me finding a marriage certificate for Alfred Tabram & Rebecca Neal?

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 19 Oct 2004 20:39

Darren, Where have you looked for Alfred and Rebecca's marriage? Is this it? (from FreeBMD) Surname First name(s) District Vol Page --------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Sep 1884 ------------------------------------------------------------ CONNER David Bethnal Green 1c 354 NEAL Rebecca Bethnal Green 1c 354 REDDALL Sarah Bethnal Green 1c 354 Tabram Alfred Bethnal Green 1c 354

Darren

Darren Report 20 Oct 2004 20:29

I will try and buy the Marriage certificate, see if that gives me any more clues. Can you buy them from FreeBMD?

William

William Report 26 Nov 2014 17:18

I know this thread is ten years old but you might want to have a look at Alfred Tabraham (brother of Henry, a Greengrocer in Horsey Road) who died in a 'prize' fight in February 1861 in Epping Fores.. There is an account of the trial in the 'Proceedings At The Old Bailey' site.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Nov 2014 17:26

Hi William

You might want to send Darren a personal message by clicking on his name.

If he still has the same email address and can access it, he will receive notification from GR that you want to make contact.