General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How board moderating works

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 14 Feb 2011 12:38

One can see, for instance, that it works well in these sites:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 14 Feb 2011 12:45

I know it is on a couple of Paul McCartney linked sites and that sometimes the web appoints a member/s as moderator. Friend uses these and has told me.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 14 Feb 2011 12:58

I've used Digital Spy and though it's moderated there is no *satelite delay* in posting...your post goes through as soon as you press *send*....they have moderators who actually READ the boards themselves and decide if something needs deleting for themselves...and then act accordingly .

WUMs don't last very long on there x

Don

Don Report 14 Feb 2011 16:30

As a moderator on another site all I can say is that we are there to enforce the T+Cs as layed out by the site owners, we also try and help members to use the site as the owners wish it to be used.
We never Hard delete anything only Soft delete so any deleted post can be reinstated on appeal to the site owners.
We also try and protect the site from Spam and protect members who are silly enough to post their Email address.
If arguments do develop we try and defuse them before they get out of hand anyone who oversteps the mark can get any ban upto permanent.

Don.

Foggy

Foggy Report 14 Feb 2011 17:23

I think it would be quite difficult to have members here moderating posts as we all have different ideas as to what we consider as offensive.

I personally dislike it when there is a good discussion that turns into a nasty backbiting name calling argument, I tend to keep away from those.

I also dislike the boring posts that have been on here for ages....A-Z of this and that, but other member seem to like them.

I understand that some members get comfort from putting up threads about all their illnesses and problems, but there are also members who dislike those king of threads.

I, again find any thread where the member spout on about religion annoying, but then again some members are happy to discusses religion.

My point being is that everyone is different and what one finds as OK, another may find annoying or distasteful., so very difficult for a member to moderate. as we all have different ideas as to what is and what is not acceptable.

I know there are T&C on here, but who is to implement them, not members, as there just might be one who would set him or her self up as judge and jury.

I expect the powers to be will eventually sort out this problem, but if we do get a moderator I really hope it wont be a member but someone directly employed by GR.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 14 Feb 2011 17:54

I wouldn't want a moderator to be any one who regularly posts on the boards either...that just wouldn't work.

I can only say that on other moderated sites there is very rarely any trouble....people are able to debate..but as soon as personal comments are made (always guaranteed to turn any thread) ..their post goes ...but the discussion is allowed to continue. Any genuine abuse or trolling posts are also removed within minutes...so people know it's not worthwhile to bother....so they don't.

I really don't get the comment about it ruining the *chat* aspect because I don't know of any other site..apart from newspaper comments sections ...where it's moderated before it's published. x

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 14 Feb 2011 18:04

I used to be against moderating the boards but individuals have abused this for too long now by abusing members.

I agree with Muffy, I don't want a member who regularly posts on the boards to be a moderator. I want someone who has specifically been employed to be a moderator who is unbiased and can do their job.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Feb 2011 18:44

Enforcers!

now why not call mods --Enforcers,,,,,,GR already has some dogmatic self appointed moderators ---unofficial though.!!

This is a family related history site in its first instance not a general open discussion forum,it shouldnt require moderators.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 14 Feb 2011 18:46

I think unfortunately the need for moderators is upon us because of all the personal attacks. Although we all have different opinions on what is offensive, I would hope that nobody would want to stand by whilst they continue. In my opinion, they add nothing to a debate and in fact detract and weaken arguments.

I see a moderator as someone who nips personal attacks in the bud before it turns into a full blown slanging match. I don't think threads necessary need to be deleted in their entirety but offensive material should be removed. Duplicate threads could be removed and relevant information moved into one and generally they could help Newbies to get to grip with the workings of the site. They are not about censorship more about not allowing bullying.

Something needs to be done, if not the introduction of moderators then what is the alternative.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 14 Feb 2011 19:03

There are moderators on all forums that I visit, other than this one.

Please look at the two sites that I quoted to see how their moderating works. These are just two examples where it works well.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 14 Feb 2011 20:23

"GR already has some dogmatic self appointed moderators ---unofficial though.!!

This is a family related history site in its first instance not a general open discussion forum,it shouldnt require moderators."

I agree Kay, it shouldn't require moderators but alas it does and not unofficial ones either.

If a by product of moderators meant the end of the unofficial ones, I'd be quite happy.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 15 Feb 2011 01:08

I think we all have the ability to moderate. If things are really bad (and I mean really) Then all one has to do is request review. it is then looked at by GR.

I honestly don't think that we are so far gone that we are unable to sort things out in an adult manner.

Yes we have wums and trolls and some who think they are above doing unto others as one would have done unto themselves, but do come on....why would we need to be babysat?......I think it would spoil the odd occasion that we all laugh or have something moan about.

The boards are sterile enough as it is......Surely by now we are able to sort the riff from the raff.... ( don't ask me Lol)

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 15 Feb 2011 07:29

I think by having moderators may have the effect of attracting old members back. With the right moderators, banter can still occur, we can still have a laugh but wums and trolls will be discouraged.

The only way request review would work is if the thread is hidden until GR have a chance to review it. However, a moderator could issue a warning and delete any personal attacks immediately and in effect act as a deterrent to them occurring in the first place