General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Susan Black's thread

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 14 Jan 2006 17:41

I am trying to trace my mother's father Albert Henry Smith. I think he was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and died about 1919 when my mother was 3. He was married to Mary Eleanor White, born in Maidstone, Kent in 1884. I think he was a clay miner. My mother used to say that his mother was called Fanny Laversuch, but I can find no trace of either of them.

Carlton

Carlton Report 6 Mar 2015 23:27

Hello Susan
I have just stumbled on your message albeit posted quite a few years ago and perhaps we have been trying to find information on the same person. My Surname is Smith and the family has been based in Halifax your quite some years.. My father is Thomas, his father was John Joseph and his father was Joseph born in 1886 / 1887. I understand Joseph's mother was called Fanny Laversuch (mentioned from one of Joseph's daughters, Frances Smith). Joseph was also a clay miner and I suspect is the brother of your mother's father, Albert Henry Smith.. I am struggling to find information about Fanny laversuch, but perhaps we can compare notes.. The key lead I have at the moment although not sure if this is correct, but a Fanny Smith and a Henry Smith who lived in Smallbridge near Rochdale are recorded in the 1891 census. The census reveals they had 3 children at that time, a betty, Joseph and Fred Smith. They could well have more children including your Albert Henry. According to my Great Auntie Fran, she mentioned to me that Fanny and other people of the family of the time are buried in the Graveyard near Heptonstall, Hebden Bride, although I have not verified this. I can confirm though that my Great grandfather Joseph, his son, John Joseph and my dad Thomas all worked in clay mines in Halifax.

If you would like to compare notes, then please get in touch.

Thanks, Carlton

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Mar 2015 23:32

Welcome to the boards Carlton :-)

Firstly you must remove your email address ASAP - not allowed by this site

Susan is unlikely to be looking for a response after such a long time - you could try to make contact with her via this site by clicking on her name to send a message - if she still has the same email address she will receive it

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2015 23:32

Carlton it is against the Terms and Conditions to display an email addy

Have you tried to contact Susan, just click on her board, and if she has the same email addy she will get notification of a message

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Mar 2015 23:34

I've sent a message to Carlton

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Mar 2015 00:08

Quote from T&c's

We ADVISE that you never reveal via the Genes Reunited Service any personal information about yourself or anyone else (for example: telephone numbers, home addresses or email addresses

Carlton

Carlton Report 7 Mar 2015 01:37

email address now removed

thanks, Carlton