General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

More Sensible Stuff (I'm on a roll this week!)

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry_

Barry_ Report 19 Jan 2014 22:09

To the RRer on GR!
Please note #3!

I make no apology, either!!

APHORISM: (“A short, pointed sentence that expresses a wise or clever observation or a general truth”).

1. The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow.

2. Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

3. If you don't have a sense of humour you probably don't have any sense at all.

4. Seat belts are not as confining as wheelchairs.

5. A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water.

6. How come it takes so little time for a child who is afraid of the dark to become a teenager who wants to stay out all night?

7. Business conventions are important because they demonstrate how many people a company can operate without.

8. Why is it that at class reunions you feel younger than everyone else looks?

9. Stroke a cat and you will have a permanent job.

10. No one has more driving ambition than the teenage boy who wants to buy a car.

11. There are no new sins; the old ones just get more publicity.

12. There are worse things than getting a call for a wrong number at 4 a.m. - for example, it could be the right number.

13. No one ever says "It's only a game" when their team is winning.

14. I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.

15. Be careful about reading the fine print there's no way you're going to like it.

16. The trouble with bucket seats is that not everybody has the same size bucket.

17. Do you realise that, in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?

18. Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Cadillac than in a Ford.

19. After 60, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you're probably dead.

20. Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind and the ones that mind don't matter.

21. Life isn't tied with a bow but it's still a gift.

And REMEMBER....

"POLITICIANS AND NAPPIES SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON"

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Jan 2014 23:00

oh dear - looks like you might be rolling off this site :-D

Old itchy finger is certainly on a mission this evening

Barry_

Barry_ Report 19 Jan 2014 23:03

..... and again this thread is reinstated RRer!
I can do this all the time.
Because I CAN.

Apparently you did not read #3! How sad are you!

As I said on my other thread
'I won't go down without a fight.

You are a coward!

Get a life for goodness sake!!
Let folks - the few of us who remain - enjoy GR.

If you want real upset see the damage the floods have done to homes in Somerset.
Pray for a little boy apparently killed in Scotland by his MOTHER,

YOU have nothing - absolutely nothing - to complain about.
Go AWAY!
Stay away, too!

APHORISM: (“A short, pointed sentence that expresses a wise or clever observation or a general truth”).

1. The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow.

2. Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

3. If you don't have a sense of humour you probably don't have any sense at all.

4. Seat belts are not as confining as wheelchairs.

5. A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water.

6. How come it takes so little time for a child who is afraid of the dark to become a teenager who wants to stay out all night?

7. Business conventions are important because they demonstrate how many people a company can operate without.

8. Why is it that at class reunions you feel younger than everyone else looks?

9. Stroke a cat and you will have a permanent job.

10. No one has more driving ambition than the teenage boy who wants to buy a car.

11. There are no new sins; the old ones just get more publicity.

12. There are worse things than getting a call for a wrong number at 4 a.m. - for example, it could be the right number.

13. No one ever says "It's only a game" when their team is winning.

14. I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.

15. Be careful about reading the fine print there's no way you're going to like it.

16. The trouble with bucket seats is that not everybody has the same size bucket.

17. Do you realise that, in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?

18. Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Cadillac than in a Ford.

19. After 60, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you're probably dead.

20. Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind and the ones that mind don't matter.

21. Life isn't tied with a bow but it's still a gift.

And REMEMBER....

"POLITICIANS AND NAPPIES SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON"

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Jan 2014 23:10

:-D :-D :-D :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 20 Jan 2014 07:07

Barry_ :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jan 2014 10:03

If the re-post is the same as the RR'd opening one, then there really isn't anything to complain about. ;-) :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 10:37

There is actually something for the RRer to complain about, and no it wasn't me...there is this assumption ( and Barry obviously thinks this going by what he posted above) that whoever the RRer is they have no sense of humour and are just reporting out of spite or because they are 'sad' people with no life

well maybe they do have a sense of humour it just isn't the same as that of people who think this is the right place for smutty jokes? which are generally the ones that get reported ( along with the rather 'sick' ones).

It's been mentioned to me, by more than several ladies, and I do wonder about it, that men who post generally 'off colour' jokes with a sexual content when they KNOW it is going to offend...are not too different from the men who chance that ' quick feel up" ( sorry can't think of a less colloquial term at the moment) when it is clearly not wanted.... qv the current cases in the news.

There is an opinion, whether it be a minority one or not, that men who tell off-colour jokes,consistently and without it seems any regard for those on an open site who may not find them tasteful , are a bit "creepy".

Personally if I were a man posting on here i would rather drop the jokes than be thought 'creepy' even if that is just by a small minority of others?

Edit to add I do not KNOW but I can guess that the RRer of this thread did so because they thought it unfair of Barry to refer to the RRer as "it " ...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jan 2014 10:52

Yes, I'd agree that everyone sees differently, but this one isn't smutty or otherwise off colour - at least as far as I can see.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 11:03

DET no it isn't but as per the edit (I had just cross posted as you posted) it did refer to the RRer as "it" which is a bit unpleasant....like a small boy stamping his feet and shouting because he has been 'told off'....

GR do not reinstate perhaps 95% ? of jokes that have been RRed, I would think that the jokers might see this an indication that GR admin have also decided this is 'not the place' ?

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 Jan 2014 11:20

Well, I am stamping my feet. No child of 3 or over would think Barry's joke was risque. Just vexatious reporting to wind the vast majority up on this site.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 11:28

If it wasn't 'risque' to some extent John, then it wouldn't have been a joke at all? just a statement.

But that's being pedantic lol.

I think the "vast majority" keep silent actually...but it's not just re Barry's joke which by most standards was pretty inoffensive,it's cummulative I think.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jan 2014 11:28

Can't help wondering why the person doing the reporting reads these threads - they seem to find the slightest thing offensive

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 11:34

Ann, that's easy to say, one might not read a thread that says 'risque joke' at the top fair enough there is a clear warning, but many of the reported jokes, and I have reported 3 I think in the time I have been here, have no clue in the title as to how offensive they may or may not be.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 20 Jan 2014 11:38

I find it offensive that Rambling Rose has suggested, that those, like myself, who enjoy the odd off colour joke, are not too different from the men who chance that (to use Rambling Rose's words) "quick feel up when it is clearly not wanted" and comparing us to the current case in the news at the moment.

I worked in an office that employed numerous women, some young and some not so young, and believe me when I say, some of the jokes they told were a distinct shade of blue - it takes a lot to embarrass me and they often left me looking for somewhere to hide :-D

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 20 Jan 2014 11:42

If I was 'the RR'er', which I'm not, have only ever reported 2 things and both of those were way before the RR button was introduced, the constant tantrums, whining and assumptions about my SOH, life, habits et al, would just wind me up and make me do it even more....... :-)

And, of course, we shouldn't assume that all the RR'ing is done by just one person.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 11:52

I find it offensive too OFITG, but it is just a reflection of how someone who constantly offends might be seen, someone who really doesn't care as long as they get their own way? .... I too have worked in environments, all male and all female, where jokes have been bandied about that would be considered unsuitable here...that's the point, this is an open site, the people on it are not all friends or workmates together, where a certain sense of 'how far you can go' is 'tested' if I can put it that way. In those situations you can judge your audience because you know them,.... here the 'audience' is just too broad to be able to do that.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 11:59

OFITG, I don;t think or suggest that anyone who finds off colour jokes funny is ' likely to be a sex offender if I did I would have to class myself as one also!

What I do suggest is that someone who repeatedly tells them on HERE and does not seem to care that GR upholds their removal time after time, could be seen as someone who doesn't give a damn about the offense they cause but turns it all back on the RRers who might well be genuinely offended and who might well have both a sense of humour and a life.

However because I do not wish to offend I am perfectly willing to edit my post if asked OFITG, unlike one or two of the jokers who will not even when asked politely...I know this because I got a not very nice pm when I asked someone to remove the joke which I found offensive...maybe the RRer has had the same experience and would rather RR than ask?

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 12:15

alright then take this one that I reported, in brief a joke containing the latin word for a specific sex act...it is in the dictionary, it's not unusual ...but is this the place for a joke about it? where anyone from the age of 13, from any cultural or religious background. ( I think here of an old family friend who won't even mention the word genitals in connection with taking her dog to the vet!) can see it?

I thought not, so I asked for it to be removed...does that mean I am a humourless old bag with no life...I don't think so!

Would you feel comfortable if a man or woman you didn't know made the same jokes to your daughter or your mother?

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 20 Jan 2014 13:39

I hate to say this on your last day, Rose, but you are really winding me up!!!! Barry cannot possibly be upsetting you, surely to goodness.

I agree there are some iffy jokes on here - and they usually get well ignored or reported. But most jokes are extremely funny and suitable for all over 3 years of age. Bary's fell in that category - in fact, I told it to a 2 year old nun and she fell out of her pushchair.

One of the funniest joke tellers on Genes is an elderly lady who doesn't like me much (I know that does not narrow the field much). I told her once I found no humour in a joke she posted (just unfunny im rude o), but usually I fall off my seat clutching whatever is wobbling.

How we need that in a day of searching through trees, looking at 1841 census and worrying about everyone and everything. We need our muscle (and we all have one) to be tickled every so often. Preferably on this site.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2014 13:49

Where in any post John have I said that Barry ( edit: Barry's joke) is upsetting ME? nowhere.
I have specifically stated that I have only ever reported 3 jokes as far as I can remember in 7 years, hardly a 'trigger finger' and none of those 3 was posted by Barry!

What gets me is the constant whining from people who have been reported that the person who has done it has "NO SENSE OF HUMOUR" ...we all have different ones don't we? some people find slapstick hilarious, some don't etc etc. Especially when the OP is AWARE and clearly states that they know it will be reported!

I don't ( often) care what people post, but if someone else finds it offensive then surely it is not too much to ask that they be allowed to say so and not be blasted for doing so?