General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Being broke, what would you consider giving up.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Apr 2014 17:19

We had this conversation last night, some said wine others said make up, I don't smoke at all and don't drink a lot so I'm not sure I have or do anything that would make a differents.
I could probably cut down a bit on food shopping and not buy clothes every month.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Apr 2014 17:32

When we didn't have much money it was clothes shopping that was cut.

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Apr 2014 17:50

We are having a take-away tonight because I am wound up and tired. We do that maybe once a month in times of heavy indulgence and the left- overs get used for another meal.

I try to go to the café that Fred dines in twice weekly once every two or three weeks because that is my holiday.

I buy clothes a couple of times a year in the sale usually.

My alcohol intake averages out to less than half a unit a week. I have not bought a magazine in twenty years and own a few bottles of nail varnish, most of which were reduced and a bit of lavender to unwind in the bath.

There are two eight year old bottles of perfume carefully wrapped and stored in the dark for the odd occasion when I might go somewhere.

I do like to buy a six pack of the lemon and lime water in Lidl and maybe a bottle of fizzy water from Aldi. While I am there I buy Fred's whisky and get his pocket money (£30 a week) as cash back and buy several bags of little Haribo packets and chocolate bars for the carers, not to mention the better quality meat sachets for the cat because he doesn't like the cheap ones.

Things get any worse it looks like the lemon and lime might go.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 13 Apr 2014 18:10

As long as i am with the people that i love...........i would quite happily give up everything and live in a tent.

Edit: Oh no, hang on........if i am living in a tent, i am not giving up my hot water bottle.

:-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Apr 2014 18:38

Um yes I do buy 2 newspapers 4 days a week and two magazines a week, that would save about £6 a week, quite a lot if you are watching the pennies, those that said about make up said if they couldn't afford that then they wouldn't go out cos they don't go out without make up on????

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Apr 2014 19:49

newspapers - and stop buying clothes - I have too many

Annx

Annx Report 13 Apr 2014 23:06

'Ditto' AnnC!! :-S If only they all fit me!! :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Apr 2014 23:18

We've had to watch our pennies since the middle of last year (still playing catch-up).

I gave up buying documents from Scotland's People.

Himself gave up smoking......... people usually do when they've spent a week in hospital with pneumonia!

We don't go out for meals, don't drink much (a couple of beers twice a week).. I buy clothes when I need them.... it helps that we're not near shops!

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 13 Apr 2014 23:21

Mine would also have to be clothes. I dont have loads but when the seasons change, I do like to get a couple of new things. I only wear make up on special occasions and I dont smoke or drink. :-)

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 13 Apr 2014 23:21

Well, if I had to, I could live without a mobile phone. After all, with a landline phone in the house and e.mail, people could reach me if they needed to. And I remember managing perfectly well before the age of the mobile phone :-(

I don't smoke any more, and I don't drink much, so saving money on alcohol would hardly be noticeable.
Therefore, to make a significant saving, I would have to consider giving up buying clothes and spending on restaurants :-0 ooooh errrrrr :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Apr 2014 08:02

I have a £10 mobile phone which has made two calls in two years.

It has only been charged once this year and has never received a call.

My biggest expenditure that was out of the ordinary this year has been the fruit bushes and vegetable seeds for the garden and some patchwork material to make Christmas presents and keep me out of mischief. It is what I take to the old ladies speakeasy every week, and that costs me a pound!

At times when I was not picking up much work I used to wish I smoked and then I would have something to give up. The food shopping is the thing I will have to work on if it becomes necessary.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Apr 2014 08:49

When I gave up work 10 years ago, I had to really look into our finances and cut all sorts of bits out.

I had a firms pension and OHs wage coming.

Odd but now 10 years down the line, we are in fact far better off than we were when I was working.

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Apr 2014 09:03

I have always said that work is expensive.

You wouldn't be able to go to work in this pair of jeans I an tell you. They wouldn't let you in!

You have to get there and that costs money, even if you walk there is shoe leather.

Even a cup of tea at home is going to be cheaper than one outside.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2014 09:48

Satellite TV, NT annual membership (we'd have to cut down on the petrol usage anyway), coffee out when we fancied it, the weekly supermarket cafe lunch.
Mind you, if we'd seen the warning signs for going broke, they'd have already been chopped.

Although we have pay as you go mobiles, like Sharron they are rarely used.

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 Apr 2014 15:21

Newspapers have gone (read them on line), havent bought anything other than essential clothing in 4 years, have a pay as you go mobile with never more than €10 credit on it, meals out maybe twice a year. Savings have dwindled to almost nothing, but at least we don´t have any debts.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2014 16:38

I've got an old pay as you go mobile.
Never buy newspapers
Have worn the same 'sets' of clothes to work for the past 5 years (since 'reorganisation' left me with a pay cut, followed by a pay freeze) and will continue to do so until I get a pay rise.
Never get 'carry-outs'.
Have never paid extra for sky etc
Rarely go out for a meal
Rarely go out :-(