General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Will importing Gedcom create duplicate entries?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beccy

Beccy Report 14 Apr 2014 12:25

Apologies if this question has been answered previously, I've searched the boards and can't find a definitive answer.
I've got an existing tree on GR but I've got a lot more data stored on a tree using Roots Magic. If I create a Gedcom file from Roots Magic and upload to GR will this replace my existing tree on GR or can the information be merged or would this create duplicate entries? I would be grateful if anyone can advise me what to expect if I decide to upload a Gedcom file or is manual data entry the only way to avoid duplicating records? Many thanks for any advice that can be offered.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Apr 2014 14:02

Yes it will overwrite you existing tree on here

And NO it will not be an exact copy. Some data will disappear and you might even get some dupicates.

A lot depends on the size of your tree.

What you have to remember is that the GEDCOM system was originally created by the Mormon church for their own use. Genealogists/Companies discovered that it was a useful tool. But it is not 100% compatible with all the various systems used. Hence the occassional hiccup

However, it is far easier to use that entering all your names and dates in again. I do not think it transfers notes or records saved such as Census etc.

Thelma

Thelma Report 14 Apr 2014 15:53

Go to Family Tree at the top of this page,hover and select Import GEDCOM
and read.

Beccy

Beccy Report 14 Apr 2014 22:14

Many thanks for your advice.