General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wrong phrases or old descriptions.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Apr 2014 22:19

Driving to town with my friend in passenger seat we both pulled the sun visor down then she said "the sun is in the wrong place isn't it". No it should be in the sky.

Some still say "dust cart" but me thinks it more than just dust being carted about these days.

Street lamps, when they are street lights.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2014 22:56

Dustbin van -

a) its a lorry
b) the bins don't go in it, the rubbish does
c) what ZZzzz said about dust.

If the sun was in the wrong place, where you driving in the wrong direction? ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Apr 2014 23:07

There is that Irish song with a line which says

"Where the strawberry beds run down to the Liffy."

Those berries are not made of straw at all and they grow out of the ground, they don't lie in beds and, anyway, when did you last see a bed running?

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 16 Apr 2014 23:16

The runner beans just hang around waiting to be picked and I've never heard a grapevine say anything :-0

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Apr 2014 00:10

Sharron

Liffy...........there is/was a section of railway track, known as the Liffy incline.

years ago I had some stereo setup records featuring a particular engne puffing its way up the Liffy incline...........

steam roller, they are diesel these days, what?

I remember a horsedrawn dust cart, when it was full a lorry would come along drop off(on slide rails) an empty one and the full one(without the 'Orse) would be winched up onto the lorry, to go to the dump........

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Apr 2014 07:29

West Sussex Highways were running Ruth, a steam roller, around Midhurst into the eighties.

If I delivered to the Midhurst Council depot, they would always be sure to let me know where she would be working so that I could go and see her.

There was a pub in that area that would serve stew, made of mutton I think, and it was called shackle.

I would surmise that this was the origin of ramshackle. A ram would be older than most sheep, maybe because he enjoyed his working life and wanted to prolong it, and only fit for stewing with a lot of other bits and pieces.

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Apr 2014 14:56

Have you ever gone away on a sun holiday and packed ‘the makings of a fry’ in your suitcase?

And do you still go out to buy your messages and then come home to put them in the press?