General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advance notice

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Apr 2014 15:34

For all those whingers who (misguidedly) seem to think it is unfair, teachers, in all likelihood, will be striking in June - week commencing 23rd.
That should provide ample notice to make alternative arrangements.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Apr 2014 16:11

Conference also said that if a member felt the need to be present for a public exam, they should/could continue to do so.

Although most subjects will have been sat by 20 June, there a few timetabled for w/c 23 June

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Apr 2014 16:12

I think it a shame that they need to strike to taken seriously, I for one could not afford to lose a days pay but would if I really had to.
As you say plenty of time to sort something out.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 23 Apr 2014 17:03

Is this just England and Wales? Only the kids break for the Summer Hols up here on the 27th June!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Apr 2014 17:33

It is England and Wales

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Apr 2014 18:57

Teachers are bound to do their utmost towards fulfilling the students’ expectations.

Mind you, I wouldn't facy the job whatever the pay.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Apr 2014 19:32

Sadly, those expectations are all too often somewhat lacking.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Apr 2014 20:02

WHAT ABOUT PARENTS WHO HAVE EXTRA COSTS FINDING
ENEXPECTED CHILD CARE,,,,,,,

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Apr 2014 21:43

If going on strike never inconvenienced anyone they would be pretty ineffectual, wouldn't they?
That is surely the whole point of striking!
It is about time teachers got a better deal.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Apr 2014 21:58

I can think of worse things a teacher could do ;-) ;-) ;-)

Kuros

Kuros Report 23 Apr 2014 22:51

eRRolSheep, as a (retired) headteacher I have to agree with you. I am just glad I got out of it when I had the chance.

Annie

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Apr 2014 01:05

I know a few high school teachers who left before they had complete nervous breakdowns.

Not all students, but some (usually male) are arrogant, violent, and think they own the world........ they're in for a shock when they start work.

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Apr 2014 08:34

The only shock will be when they successfully find any job in the UK at the moment.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Apr 2014 09:02

Given the calibre of many entering the jobs marketplace, the shock would be the fact that anyone would even consider them for gainful employment.

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Apr 2014 09:54

There was a time not so long ago that only the privileged few extended their education beyond the basic 'O' & 'A' levels. But now we've moved into a world where academic ability appears to be the only option and the formal learning curve can comfortably be stretched out into students' late twenties. Academia appears to be the only option.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel revealed her blueprint for solving youth unemployment. She wants to promote the merits of Germany's dual system of schooling and work experience – a mix of classroom learning and on-the-shop-floor work experience – as the best way forward at a time when almost six million under-25s in Europe are out of work.

What she's actually talking about are apprenticeships – not just as we know them in terms of mechanics or plumbers, but in all careers our youth can learn more in a hands-on environment than they can in the lecture hall or possibly in the students' subsidised bar.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Apr 2014 11:10

One place I worked in took on graduates only to find that they could not do the job, it looked good on paper, but alas they had to start learning again when they thought they could do the job.
It is more to do with keeping unemployment figures low than anything else.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Apr 2014 11:22

However, that is not what teachers are striking over.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Apr 2014 14:30

I know what they are striking over and I sincerely hope they get it.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 24 Apr 2014 19:15

Sorry - I was not saying you did not know what they were striking over, I just thought we were going ever so slightly off topic with a subject that merits a thread all of its own.

One day, people will realise what a vital role teachers play.

Or not.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 24 Apr 2014 20:19

I support our teachers 100%

And the sore point of parents paying for child care that day or losing a days pay, they have to do it if their child is ill AND they get no prior notice when this happens.So why moan when they have to take the same action when they have been given notice?