General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windows Updates?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 13 Nov 2014 09:40

Wow!!! anyone else get all these? :-S

Just after midnight last night my IE8 went loopy .
I couldn`t access any sites at all.

Everything else was ok, wifi was working perfectly so I guessed it was down to a server.
So I decided to shut down and see what the morning brings...
The comp wouldn`t shut down immediately, it said I had Updates downloading.
So I left it to download them and switch itself off. (which is what it normally does)

I switched on a short while ago and it appears all updates had been downloaded and installed successfully...

All 19 of them! :-0

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 13 Nov 2014 09:54

I had 18 :-) seems OK this morning

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Nov 2014 09:55

Your not alone, I got 15 new updates when I logged on yesterday morning, I downloaded them, when computer restarted after taking about 30 minutes to download and install them - I got a message telling me the updates were installed successfully :-)

Allan

Allan Report 13 Nov 2014 09:58

Same, plus a message from my Antivirus Program saying that there was a major flaw in almost all Windows Systems and advising to download security updates immediately

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2014 09:59

Yes - something like that, quite a few anyway. I just let it get on with it and went to bed!

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 13 Nov 2014 10:00

I wish they would say what the updates entailed. (what they were for) :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 13 Nov 2014 10:02

For a moment, I thought this thread might be about double glazing cold callers.

BR - Messages from the Comet probably caused the hic-up.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Nov 2014 10:04

Not my dinosaur computer, but DH's should have them.

I turn my computer off every night, he doesn't!

Thanks for the info on the updates, I'll let him know :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Nov 2014 10:05

yesterday ,think it was on BBC news webpage was a mention that a 19 year old security flaw had , at last been patched.......
this was present allegedly in ALL versions of windows....
................................................................................................................
I had the same, except when it DID fire up my AVG picked up a Malsign infection warning

with a option to let AVG delete it, or allow

the blurb said it was to do with drivers, so what do you do? if you don't understand it and what it entails?

Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Nov 2014 10:07

Bob - Go onto the Microsoft website and ask in one of their forums?

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 13 Nov 2014 10:07

Dermot :-D :-D :-D

Maybe one of them is a fix for keeping Daleks at bay. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 13 Nov 2014 10:14

Exterminate! Exterminate!

:-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Nov 2014 10:19

The Daily mail's version.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2832157/Unicorn-bug-Microsoft-s-Windows-1985.html

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Nov 2014 10:26

I had 17 last night. Not long since I had another 17. OH had the same both times.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 13 Nov 2014 10:38

Budgie - you can check what they were for - click Windows Update programme and then click Recent update history. Mind - it doesn't exactly give the details of what Security update etc.actually does! but I don't think I'd understand if they did!

Mersey

Mersey Report 13 Nov 2014 11:11

Hi Budgiekins and all......

Mine was exactly the same last night and this morning, its only took till now to actually finish properly :-0 :-0

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 13 Nov 2014 11:28

Hiya Mersey sweetie xx
as luck would have it, just about an hour before I got these Updates I had done a total clear out of caches internet files etc etc.
So I think maybe that is why it was pretty quick at updating and returning to normal service when I switched on this morning.

Island

Island Report 13 Nov 2014 11:35

21 for me! Took 25 minutes which is really annoying when I've switched on just to do something quickly. I'm sure I used to get an option to delay for upwards of 10 minutes.

I find I can't leave it to get on with it either as my laptop goes to sleep and the updates stop until I wake it up.

:-|

Mersey

Mersey Report 13 Nov 2014 11:38

Budgikins I never did the clearout :-0 is it worth doing that now?? <3

Kense

Kense Report 13 Nov 2014 11:43

Fortunately I noticed yesterday that there were updates waiting so I switched off at teatime. I had 16.