General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where have the death records gone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William John

William John Report 16 Nov 2014 17:43

every time I search for deaths, I keep getting birth records appearing. also I am continuously bombarded with flashing pop ups. what am I paying for :-) :-) :-) :-D :-D

Gee

Gee Report 16 Nov 2014 17:54

Hi William

Where are you searching?

You can search here for free

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 16 Nov 2014 17:57

William John,
If you give me the death you`re looking for I will try it to see if its ok at my end. :-)

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 18 Nov 2014 11:11

Hi William John,

Please email [email protected] and we can look in to this for you.

Regards,

Shelley

Island

Island Report 18 Nov 2014 12:20

into :-)

Graham

Graham Report 18 Nov 2014 18:26

For Shelley :-D

http://www.spellcheck.net/

Graham

Graham Report 18 Nov 2014 18:42

When you do a search for a death record on this site you get a list of possible matches. On that list the birth year is more noticeable than the year of death. This can lead to some confusion.

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 18 Nov 2014 19:42

William John,
Looks like you are using the Births, Marriages & Deaths in the
*All categories* section...

You need to use Deaths & Burials in the *Collections in this Category* section see below
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Records to Search

All Categories
. Armed Forces & Conflict
. Births, Marriages & Deaths
. Census, Land & Surveys
. Newspapers, Directories & Social History
. Travel & Migration

Collections in this Category
. Births & Baptisms
. Deaths & Burials ***
. Marriages & Divorces
. Wills & Probate
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The simplest way is to left click on "search" top of the board, then in the drop down menu box left click on Deaths.

Dont think the GR techies can do anything about your Pop Ups... but they may give you advice about them.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Nov 2014 20:00

Be careful with FreeBMD. It is run by Camilla von Massenbach and her mates and they do as they please. The volunteers do a great job but take into account this.

1. FreeBMD work from the GRO indexes only.
They do allow users do submit corrections to the volunteer transcriptions which if passed are incorporated within a month. They never ever make updates for errors in the printed index. Unfortunately these are common especially for indexes transcribed to typeset or (even worse) typewriting from handwritten pages by GRO.
Back in the 1840s & 1850s typewriters were unknown. A lot of people filing birth certs could not spell their children's names properly.

2. Even where FreeBMD claim to be complete they frequently are not. This is most obvious with marriage records which must come by 2. Very often FreeBMD are a person short with say 3 men and 4 women. Or one person twice and another missing.

3. When there is a missing record FreeBMD has no form for you ti tell them so so it just stays that way.

4. The BMD indexes on Ancestry are NOT the duplicate of FreeBMD and are far more accurate and complete. OTOH they are very slow to pick up on FreeBMD user corrections.

Online GRO indexes stop at 2006. For the last eight years you have to go to Kew etc.