General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it just me...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 17 Nov 2014 19:57

... or does anyone else agree that it is a bit early for Christmas decorations? I have just driven past a house festooned with lights, tinsel, snowmen, stars, the full monty in fact. Perhaps I am just getting old. Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2014 20:02

This year Advent Sunday falls on 30 Nov - that's early enough for me!

Unless they're doing it for charity, just think of their elecricity bill (and pity their neighbours)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Nov 2014 20:07

far too early - I moaned in Asda this morning - Christmas carols playing :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Nov 2014 20:08

Stray got hers up

only the tree left to do
but cant do that as she always has a real one
and it would be bald by Christmas :-D :-D

Phyll

Phyll Report 17 Nov 2014 20:13

Don't you think that with the threat of Power cuts' people might think twice about festooning their houses with lights

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2014 20:23

Probably not Phyll.

People tend not to think that that their usage has much effect in the great scheme of things. They'll just hope that that any timers they might use don't go hey-wire, or that the circuit/bulbs don't blow

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Nov 2014 21:00

I rarely receive Christmas cards from erstwhile friends to whom I rarely send such greetings.

And I'd advise Santa to come by rowing boat this year when he's down our way.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 17 Nov 2014 22:23

December 15th more than early enough for me.

Walking around the West End, all the shops are playing christmas music. It does my head in, I cant think straight for it.

Much as I love Maria Carey, I dont want her warbling ALL the time.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 17 Nov 2014 22:25

it has to be at least a week or two in to December before mine go up

Linda

Linda Report 17 Nov 2014 23:29

mine go up 10 days before and taken down 10 days after....long enough for me!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Nov 2014 23:32

Bah - Humbug :-P

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 18 Nov 2014 00:58

When the children were still at home, we put ours up as soon as the school holidays began - just those few days before Christmas was the beginning of the holiday excitement

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 18 Nov 2014 06:47

Tree goes up 2 weeks before and comes down on New Years Day.

Last week in our local paper the headline was about a 22 year old who has all her decorations up already.

That's as exciting as it gets in our town :-D ....Thankfully.

Chris

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Nov 2014 09:08

In reality we don't put ours up until about 10 days before. They then come down on 6
Jan. Doesn't everything look dingy after they've been packed away?

The children thought we ought to put them up earlier, probably because the activities at primary school start about the beginning of December.

GinN

GinN Report 18 Nov 2014 11:41

I visited a friend up in the North East yesterday, and she'd just finished putting up her tree and was starting on the rest of the decorations! her baby granddaughter was merrily helping by pulling all the tinsel and baubles off the tree - mayhem! :-D :-D :-D

Graham

Graham Report 18 Nov 2014 18:33

Our decorations go up on Christmas Eve and come down on the 6th of January. :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Nov 2014 20:15

Some have had them up over 2 weeks around the area,,,,,,,,,,tree lights the lot,,barmy,,,,,,,no wonder the children dont get excited about them,they just become part of the house by christmas.........