General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bizarre Cultural Practices

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Nov 2014 03:10

This is one of them.......

In Scotland, the announcement of a wedding is not such a sweet and pure celebratory event as it is elsewhere in the world. Once wed, a bride is welcomed back into society with the blackening of the bride ritual. This custom sees the bride taken by surprise with buckets of gross food and other substances. Friends and family can fill the bucket with anything that takes their fancy, including mud, molasses, syrups and sauces, as well as curdled milk and rotten eggs. We can’t really imagine how this one might have started!

I was 12 years old when I left Scotland, but I've never heard of anyone doing this!

There are 10 on the list

http://www.billionairesaustralia.com/worlds-10-bizarre-cultural-practices/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=au

probably all as ridiculous as the claim about Scottish brides.

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2014 03:39

that's weird!

I've never heard of anything like this!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Nov 2014 04:11

I wouldn't like to be in the tribe that chops off a knuckle when a family member dies!

:-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2014 05:17

:-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Nov 2014 07:39

In 'The Story of Civilisation’ by Will Durant (1885-1981), there are various descriptions of how the Ancients got themselves a bride.

I dare not repeat some of them here because I'd get banned for life. Let's just say that the 'bucketing' mentioned in the OP is very minor in comparison.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Nov 2014 07:59

It looks like a right of passage thing.

I don't know if it still happens but, when a printer finished his apprenticeship he was "banged out". The unfortunate victim would be ritually humiliated, maybe pushed around the factory in a glue barrel, covered in printing ink and feathers to the sound of banging of anything anybody could lay hand to.

It used to be common to most apprentices I believe.

Graduation and the wedding ceremony itself are similarly indications of rights of passage. The juicy bit is the signing or presentation of the document, the rest is optional and would look similarly bizarre to an alien.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Nov 2014 18:42

too cold for mud wrestling, methinks.......

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 19 Nov 2014 18:52

Have not seen this happen in Aberdeen in years.

I think it mostly still goes on in the Shires as Joan says.

And as Joan says never to the bride.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Nov 2014 20:23

The only "Scottish" wedding custom I remember is the "Scramble"........ the bride's father would throw coins (a LOT of coins) out the window of the car when he & his daughter left the house, on the way to the church.

Every child in the neighbourhood would be there, hoping to get a few pennies....... hence the name "scramble".

I went to one when I was about 10, got bruised knuckles, never went to another :-D

It probably still happens.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Nov 2014 20:58

The "Scramble" tradition isn't only a Scottish one. Here in the north east it used to be carried out at most weddings. My father threw coins for the kids in the neighbourhood as we left the house for the church for my wedding in 1969 and it was the same at lots of my friends weddings.

Kath. x

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Nov 2014 21:31

I have never heard of Blackening a bride or a groom ...for that matter?

I did however have a scramble at my own wedding in 1985

Also....a Christening Piece when my 1st daughter was baptised which I gave to the first male child that I met after the church service.