General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sent messages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 28 Nov 2014 14:00

it seems a shame that you send a message to a person to see if the person you are researching is a match and request access to their tree they read the messages but do not bother to reply :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Nov 2014 14:08

I think many people do not want to give access to their tree unless they are certain there IS a match, or it may be that whilst they have the person on their tree it is someone only distantly connected to them and that they have no other info on ( for instance a distant cousin by marriage).

Many people have a tree on here for their own reasons, not because they want contact with others and they don't reply becase they have no interest in doing so, and no time to explain that they have no interest. :-D

And I would think for some it is an effort to keep up with messages or emails from the people they already know, let alone reply to messages from strangers.

Gillian

Gillian Report 28 Nov 2014 14:13

you could be right but they could say if they are not interested saves you awaiting a reply?
thanks for your reply :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Nov 2014 14:15

Hi Seagate

Are you sending the automated message or are you sending a message of your own?

You tend to get more of a response if you add the details of exactly who you are researching and how you are connected.....Rather than.....Hi can I have access to view your tree... without any explanation as to how you are connected.

Gillian

Gillian Report 28 Nov 2014 14:18

hi
i sent a message direct to the person and then an automated message for access to their tree

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Nov 2014 14:20

Some people are just plain rude!

:-D

Gillian

Gillian Report 28 Nov 2014 14:22

hi i agree but never mind they might surprise me and answer?

thanks for all messages

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2014 14:24

Seagate,

Asking for access to a tree is not a good idea. As PH states, provide some reason for your attempted contact. And hope for a reply.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Nov 2014 14:33

I think you need to be really specific, someone deluged me with messages saying 'open your tree' but would not say who the link was or why they thought there was one when I asked for details.

I didn't have a large or detailed tree on here so I would have given much more help personally than they could have got from my tree. In the end I had to block him, he was very abusive....still wouldn't say who the connection was lol. I had guessed but the two names though the same were born continents apart, if the member had just said the name in the first place I could have told him.

It may also be that people open messages at work or when in a hurry, and then simply forget to reply. It's always worth leaving it a few weeks and then trying again with a friendly message giving what you know about the person you think is linked, if you give out something you are more likely to get something back :-)

jax

jax Report 28 Nov 2014 17:30

I normally ignore most tree requests, because my tree would be of no interest to them.....they have only sent me one because I have helped on their thread.

I did have a name collector send me a request a couple of years ago, but when I asked what relation she was to my dads sister she did'nt reply....not that she was anyway closely related

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Nov 2014 20:05

I sent a message the other day, gave lots of info about the person I thought we had a match for.

I got a response. Yes, we have the same person, and his/her tree is all on Ancestry.

That's nice.

:-S

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Nov 2014 20:18

I got a reply a few months ago for a PM I sent two years ago
the person has changed their email
and lost interest in their tree they has logged in
out of the blue and picked up my message

so never say NEVER :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Nov 2014 23:33

My brother in law had a tree on here, that neither my sister nor I knew about.
He died 7 years ago.
It was only whilst 'playing around' with names about 3 years ago that I realised he had a tree, so I asked GR to delete it.

So anyone who sent a message to Derek Murphy and got no reply - I apologise.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2014 01:11

Did you realise that there is actually no way to reply to one of those automated requests???

I didn't

until I got one a few weeks ago ......................

I almost never respond to one of those, but thought I would answer this one with my usual "no" ..........

....... all I could do was open my tree .....................

NO WAY JOSE!

jax

jax Report 29 Nov 2014 17:28

If you read the opening post DC, the messages have been read .....so someone has access