General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Registers,1846-1912.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 28 Nov 2014 20:41

New on Ancestry.

This series contains registers kept by the Lunacy Commission, 1846 to 1913, of asylum patients in both public and private asylums. They record the name and sex of the patient; the name of hospital, asylum, or licensed house; and the date of admission and of discharge or death of each patient.

Graham

Graham Report 28 Nov 2014 22:41

I just saw that. It's a good job it does contain present day records. I might find my name on there otherwise. :-)

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 29 Nov 2014 01:10

thanks
MR_MAGOO
:-) :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 04:03

Is that for the whole of UK?

I might find one of mine......... died in 1910 in Hartwood. :-(

Graham

Graham Report 29 Nov 2014 09:33

There are 617 deaths on there for Hartwood in Scotland. There is also a Hartwood in England.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 09:51

Hartwood, near Shotts in Lanarkshire.

Official cause of death "paralysis of the insane"... I googled, and got a helluva shock!

Somebody was sticking his "business" where he shouldn't have.

The hospital is now in ruins, lots of photographs on the internet. I'm sure it was an impressive building in its day, now it's a bit creepy.

:-(

John Archibald ROBERTSON born 21 Sept 1863, died 31 Jan 1910.