General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inverness meet 2015

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Nov 2014 21:27

Hi would anyone be interested in meeting up in Inverness in 2015?
I have never been to a meet as they are usually too far down south. I know there are a few members from Aberdeen and the surrounds.

If anyone is interested can they PM me and maybe we could decide on a month and then a suitable date. I think it would need to be may onwards though as the winter weather up here means travel can get disrupted.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who wants to come. This does not exclude anyone btw but realise most of you down south wouldnt travel this far up.However if anyone is coming up this way, it would be good to meet you.

Florence
in the hebrides :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Nov 2014 23:36

It's very quiet here tonight, where is everyone?

Florence
in the hebrides

Island

Island Report 29 Nov 2014 00:01

McEmma :-D

I think they're all exhausted from Black Friday Florence :-0

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Nov 2014 00:02

saw something on the news about it. Just pure greed! :-0

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 29 Nov 2014 10:18

Would love to visit Inverness again, alas my mobility problems rule that out, have many memories of Inverness and the surrounding area, not least, many years ago, after being signed in as a guest at a local bingo hall, shouting "House" the looks I got from a lot of women in tartan skirts, tweed jackets, and brogue shoes - was scary :-D :-D :-D

Good luck in your efforts arranging a meet Florence <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Nov 2014 14:21

Thanks OFITG Havent had any interest yet but you never know.

Florence

When my English mother came up to visit, I took her to our social club one saturday night also to play bingo. When they shouted"all the 11's legs 11" my dear mother wolf whistled and all eyes fell on her. i said "mother we dont do that up here." Really she replied, "well ive never been to bingo where they dont."
I didnt know where to look and it was a while before i went again. No doubt I was the talk of the village until something better to gossip about came along lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2014 16:05

Florence keep it nudged up, it just needs somebody to spot it to get the ball rolling. Good luck. did you choose Inverness for a reason? Is it the easiest place for you to get to? Maybe another place might be preferable to others up there.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Nov 2014 16:49

Thanks Anne. Yes I have to make a 3 hour ferry crossing and then 55 miles on a bus before i reach Inverness. So any other town further away,would make it difficult to reach. Thought it would be inbetween Aberdeen and Ullapool.

I will check everyday and nudge as you suggested.

thanks again
Florence

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Nov 2014 16:54

I would be interested in meeting up, but Inverness is a very long drive and would mean staying at least one night.

It isn't easy to drive anywhere in the Highlands because of the lack of direct roads (mountains and lochs tend to get in the way).

As Ann said, perhaps you would get more response if you could get to somewhere further south - Perth, maybe?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Nov 2014 18:25

Where abouts are you Andys mum? Would getting a train be easier? I couldnt get to perth the same day, the logistics are impossible. I was going to stay overnight and then ferry back next day.

I know we are so remote up here that this wasnt going to be an easy task but just thought i would put the idea out and see what responses come of it.

I also have rellies in inverness and one of them happens to own a B &b so if anyone needed to stay, I could sort that out no problem.

Florence

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Nov 2014 22:37

I live in the Central Belt, west of Glasgow. From Glasgow to Inverness by train is 4 hours, cost about £80 (less whatever reduction I get on my travel pass). Times are reasonable.

By bus is also about 4 hours, cost probably nil, but otherwise from £5 upwards!! Times are not so convenient.

To get to Glasgow by public transport is 45mins on a bus and then about an hour by train. So total travelling about 6hrs plus!

Driving is probably about 4hrs, going cross-country, as far as one can in Scotland! I would avoid Glasgow, Stirling and Perth, but would have to do quite a lot on the notorious A9.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Nov 2014 22:42

Aw that's some distance for you too. Doesnt look like this may happen simply because we are all so spread out and also theres the cost too!

Well if anyone thinks of coming to the islands, please feel free to drop in for a cuppa and some homebaking. I have a cousin who rents out a chalet too.

Florence
in the hebrides

Graham

Graham Report 29 Nov 2014 23:53

From Somerset it would take 10 hours on the train and cost over £220.00 :-(

Good luck though ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Nov 2014 00:08

Graham thanks but wouldnt expect u to travel up this far and so expensive!

I have a friend who stays nr wincanton. Was down there in Aug for her 50th. cost me£200 to fly!

Take care
Florence

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Nov 2014 10:16

Sounds great but it's just too far for me I ,m afraid .

Good luck though in getting it off the ground :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Nov 2014 11:29

Thanks Shirley for replying, not too worry

Florence

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Dec 2014 10:31

Might have to put this on the burner.

If i travel down south next year and anyone is having a meet in kent or sussex, let me know.

I might just be able to get there.

Thanks
Florence
in the hebrides

Island

Island Report 1 Dec 2014 13:05

You could do a few meets on the way if you're going to Kent/Sussex anyway, Florence :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Dec 2014 14:00

By parachute? :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Dec 2014 14:10

:-D :-D :-D
Well actually, I would fly to Glasgow and then straight to gatwick so unless u met me for coffee at the airport, dont think the pilot would stop anywhere else for me lol.

I have family and friends in and around tunbridge wells, crowborough and brighton so you never know.

Florence
in the hebrides

Mind you if there is a good tail wind up here in the right direction, i could always paraglide down for free! :-)