General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

nuisance calls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Dec 2014 15:02

twice today I have received a telephone call from some call centre asking me if I still get nuisance calls and they are endeavouring to get them stopped :-S :-S :-S

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Dec 2014 15:13

I've had those. Last time I asked a lot of questions about how it worked and what it cost. All reasonable and plausible answers, but I still said No, thanks.

The other thing I keep getting are silent calls from 00 222 22222222 - which is Mauretania! :-S :-S :-S

Mersey

Mersey Report 9 Dec 2014 15:13

Ann since having my new home phone sorted thats all I get....I even started to take it out at the wall..... :-|

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 9 Dec 2014 15:13

Wish someone would.. i get calls from O2 and BT everyday.. i just pick the phone up and place it down again....i am seriously thinking of actually answering the calls and saying they have actually called the Russian Embassy and will be reported.. :-S

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 9 Dec 2014 16:33

The other day a friend got one where the young man started with 'and how are you today?' , so she told him -----

dodgy knees, bad back, dizzy spells, by the time she got to her bowels he rang off. :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Dec 2014 16:56

try here ...

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/phones-3/call-blocking-devices-eveything-you-need-to-know/

I use a call filter which only allows through numbers on a white list plus any which respond with our name when asked by the gadget. I bought it for about half the price quoted by Which. Bliss.

At one time I used an old referees whistle. Cheap and fairly effective. However I was told t was possibly illegal for the intended use.

My younger rellies do not have an actual phone plugged in to their socket and use mobile only. Solves the junk caller problem but at a price!

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 9 Dec 2014 16:58

Rollo.. i also get these nuisance calls on my mobile...

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Dec 2014 16:59

We let ours go to the answerphone and only pick up if we know the caller. We find most cold callers hang up without saying anything.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 9 Dec 2014 17:03

Same as AnninGlos.

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 9 Dec 2014 18:52

My sis in law received ** another ** nuisance call on Saturday morning, so being a little stressed, used a few choice swear words at the chap then put the phone down.
It turned out it was her son having a joke with her and she was really embarrassed. :-0 :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Dec 2014 19:06

that happened to me - my son pretended to be an Indian call centre - so I launched into a tirade of dreadful language, only to have him ring me back and express horror that I knew such words - well now he knows!!!! :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Dec 2014 19:32

Nuisance calls are fairly ez to fix on a mobile. Got to your phone log and you will see the calling number eg 0843 xxxxxx . Use the option "add caller to reject list". In future that number will be blocked. After a little while you will experience a big drop in nuisance calls.

There are various apps which purport to block nuisance calls.
Some are dodgy some quite good. Here is one which works:
https://www.netqin.com/en/help/content/2119/344/350/

NEVER ring back unknown numbers you can end up with a nasty bill.