General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I fought the lawn......

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 28 Mar 2015 12:17

...and the lawn nearly won!

1st cut of the year. Result, one wheelie bin absolutely full to the top, a lawn which looks hacked to pieces and a very hot mower.

Must not leave it to get so long next time...

Andy

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Mar 2015 12:26

I'm no gardener and hubby adjusted the mower before he went away just over a week ago for me to do the first cut but the weather hasn't been dry enough yet for me to do it.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Mar 2015 12:30

Mine was done a couple of weeks ago.

Not much growth throughout the winter. But I have lots of moss and several bald patches to deal with. :-|

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Mar 2015 12:50

My lawn is tiny I can cut it in the adverts on the TV

but it does take me longer to do the assault course to get it out the garage :-D :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Mar 2015 13:55

Oh you lucky people! My lawn is still under a foot of snow with a fresh fall yesterday. Temperature today is -10. It's going to be a while before I can think of mowing.

Merlin

Merlin Report 28 Mar 2015 14:01

First cut one week ago on high,next one will lower blades. :-D

Linda

Linda Report 28 Mar 2015 15:59

Mine was cut two weeks ago but I'm lucky I've a lady gardner that comes in once very two weeks :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Mar 2015 16:27

I love the T-Shirt Barry and what a jolly looking chap.

I was a member of a quiz team some years ago and we were called.........

"Garden Prickers Don't Give A Fork"

:-D :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Mar 2015 16:56

:-D :-D

All good with me Barry..........and I hope all is good with you.

I can't promise to be good........but I will be careful. ;-)

You have a lovely weekend too. x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Mar 2015 17:47

much too wet to mow in these here parts

however, as my lawn has a shedload of moss on it I have treated it so it's going brown in patches now - will leave it for a while before I mow it

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 28 Mar 2015 20:39

Psst-Margee,

Maybe we're the lucky ones,eh?

Still hasn't stopped s*ing here.

Moxx

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Mar 2015 21:41

Lawns had first cut few days ago,

Alloment dug over and prepared for planting 5 rows of early potatoes in, 5 rows of peas under cloches 3 rows of onion sets plus some new strawberry plants.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2015 01:17

it's pouring with rain here ................. but our lawn man did the first earlier in the week

OH has trenched and planted 3 rows of potatoes, has trenched and has ready a 4th row, and will prpeare the other 3 rows as weather permits this week ....... he's not a wet weather gardener :-)

Our everbearing Strawberry plants had fruit into December, and look ready to start again soon.

Mo and Margee ..........

..................... Nova Scotia is also still covered with snow. Daughter spent this morning (Sunday) trying to find places to dump yet more that had fallen over night.

She actually now has a 2 step pile of snow .................... throw the snow up onto the lowest level, climb on to that pile, and throw more shovel fulls up onto the high level :-)

Heaven knows what will happen when it all melts!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Mar 2015 20:41

IT'S SNOWING AGAIN!!!

This is just not acceptable!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2015 22:07

oh no!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Apr 2015 19:02

I just had to add to this thread because 2 weeks ago I wrote this:

"Oh you lucky people! My lawn is still under a foot of snow with a fresh fall yesterday. Temperature today is -10. It's going to be a while before I can think of mowing."

Today the snow is all gone, the temperature is over 25 degrees and it's too hot to work outside.

Only in Canada!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Apr 2015 19:40

and it is about 9C and raining on this side .........

....... with about 50 cm of snow falling over the weekend on the road through one of the highest mountain passes to back East

only in Canada :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Apr 2015 20:00

Still haven't cut mine.
I wait until the tufts are quite big.
Also, despite being on chalky soil, my 'lawn' has acquired sphagnum moss around the edges. Could be because I'm on the the South Downs - well not exactly, but am the same height, and the South Downs Way starts less than 100 yards from my front door.

AND I have to jump all over the grass before I cut it, to make the sloworms move.

Andrew

Andrew Report 23 Feb 2016 14:55

A month earlier this year.....result, lawn ripped to pieces again and a mower clogged with mulched grass and moss.

Andy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Feb 2016 15:08

We got rid of our small front lawn some years ago

I would mow it every weekend and sometimes in the week too in the summer growing season . Would add lawn food and lawn weed killer BUT as the front is open plan got fed up with neighbours who did nothing but reluctantly mowed from time to time but let the weeds sow everywhere

We had the front remodelled and had the fancy concrete laid with a small bed in one corner and a raised bed on one side whic is planted with miniature roses

The concrete section is a parking for a car as we got fed up too with not being able to park as folks who live way up the road would park and leave their cars for days on end and not move it . This was a problem as hubbies mobility got worse .

Glad it's done as couldny cope now with mowing grass