General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The 6stone 8 lbs club !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 9 May 2015 19:58

Hi everyone - I am here and trying SO hard to get back up to 7 stone

Can anyone help ???

Dea Xxx

Dea

Dea Report 9 May 2015 20:05

.. - just adding to my watched threads !!!!

Dea x

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 May 2015 20:09

If you are eating healthily you should put on the weight, if 6st 8 isn't right for your height? I think if it's weight loss due to illness, you may just need a bit more time to get back to normal?

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Underweightadults.aspx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 May 2015 20:54

how tall are you if you don't mind me asking :-)

Dea

Dea Report 9 May 2015 21:02

5 ft and a tidgy bit - thank you Ann

Dea Xxx

Dea

Dea Report 9 May 2015 21:06

Thank you RR - yes - it is due to illness !!!

BUT - I would still like to increase my weight ...

Dea Xxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 May 2015 04:10

Hi titchy one :-D :-D

I was hoping you might have been able to add some weight.

I wish I could give you some, I could do with losing a few pounds :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 10 May 2015 08:24

Hello Dearest Dea........

How about eating what you want, when you want it?

Passing some Maltesers over to you :-D :-D

Lots of love,

Cx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 May 2015 08:34

How about little but often?
Could your GP prescribe high calorie biscuits such as those Anorexic sufferers are encouraged to eat?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 May 2015 09:25

What sort of diet do you have Dea? i.e. what foods do you eat. Maybe that will give us some idea. And, as somebody says, is your low weight due to illness?

I know I should recognise you but, have you changed your board name?

Are you very active, using more calories perday than you are eating? And have you asked your doctor?

Von

Von Report 10 May 2015 10:35

Dea
I spent the whole of my life being 6stone 7 lbs and at some times of my life a lot less.

During the times I needed to put on weight I tried to make sure that I ate 4 meals a day and at night I would have a chocolate drink made with a food supplement like Complan.
Gradually the weight went on but it isn't easy.
Most people can put on weight easily and therefore don't realise how difficult it is if you don't weigh very much to start with.

Good luck and try not to worry
Take care
Von <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 May 2015 10:42

problem I have is that I'm too short for my weight :-D

Von

Von Report 10 May 2015 10:58

Ann
My Mum had a fridge magnet that said
" I'm not overweight I'm under tall " :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 May 2015 11:03

love it :-D

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 10 May 2015 11:38

Have you been referred to a dietician? My husband is trying to put on weight due to illness. He's been advised to put sugar in his tea, eat little and often, add cream to soups, sauces & mashed potato,add cheese where possible, use full fat milk etc. A dietician may prescribe high calorie drinks like fortisips & calogen, which is a food supplement. I make my husband smoothies each day using a banana, full fat milk, fortisip & Angel Delight . You could also use any tinned fruit in place of the banana (peaches, pears, strawberries etc) to vary the flavour. I've also used smooth peanut butter in them, although he wasn't keen on that! If only it were possible for me to give him a couple of stones of my surplus!
Good luck!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 10 May 2015 11:44

Dea,
A few years ago, my daughter was extremely underweight and although she was in recovery from an eating disorder, gaining weight, even on a balanced diet was really difficult.
( she lost half her body weight in just one year)

It took a while but she eventually got back to normal eating and a healthy weight.

When a person is underweight, most of the calorie intake ( increased or otherwise) is used to maintain body heat and there is no immediate weight gain.

During early recovery she ate 4 meals plus additional snacks every day, but for a short spell she also needed to supplement her diet with High Calorie drinks which were provided on prescription.

Ask your GP for advice.
Have you had your thyroid function checked recently?

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 10 May 2015 21:38

Drink lots of beer. It works for me!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 May 2015 01:09

Bob, when I was pregnant with my first child, 35 years ago, I weighed six and a half stone. My doctor told me to drink a Guinness every day to 'bulk up my weight'.
I didn't like Guinness, so drank a bottle of Mackeson!!
I must add, was a very healthy six and a half stone.
I was an agricultural worker, and worked in the spud factory when not in the fields, which meant lifting half a hundredweight of potatoes at least 50 times a day!

As I've aged, I've noticed red wine has a weight-gaining factor too :-(

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 11 May 2015 19:48

maggiewinchester, I am trying to think of a witty reply that won't get RR'd.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 May 2015 19:52

:-D :-D :-D