General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any computer whizz-kids out there?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Inky1

Inky1 Report 11 May 2015 09:23

I use the IBM Trusteer security as I bank online. The reports are weekly, and seem always to include this message for GR. But not for any other site.

The following password submissions were protected by the character replacement feature. Trusteer Endpoint Protection has prevented access to the original keystrokes from most common keyloggers. This does not necessarily mean you have keyloggers on your PC. However, applications on your PC that tried to log keystrokes while you were entering information to the websites below have failed.
• May 09 2015 21:34: Password field on genesreunited.co.uk. Anti-keylogging activated.
• May 07 2015 11:26: Password field on genesreunited.co.uk. Anti-keylogging activated.
• May 06 2015 17:43: Password field on genesreunited.co.uk. Anti-keylogging activated.

When logging in I always delete the tick in the box “Remember my password on this computer”. Does anyone know just what the GR software is doing? And no, I have not sent a message to GR (seems they hardly ever answer questions anyway).

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 May 2015 11:43

False positives such as this are a known problem with IBM Trusteer.
Make sure your definitions are up to date and if you are also running VIPRE make sure this is up to date as well.

The plus with Trusteer is that it uses the cloud but this is also a weakness if any link in the connection is compromised.

With which browsers do you have this problem?
GR uses Microsoft IIS 7 server and standard Ajax libraries. The site may be creackingly old fashioned but it does not have any kind of odd data input routine for passwords. The soruce of the problem will be on yr computer OR with Trusteer itself.

The only 100% safe way to carry out online banking is to boot linux from a trusted DVD and run the browser app from the DVD with a wired ethernet connection NOT wifi. Using Winodws 8.1 with the new type HD authentication is also very good and Windows 10 is just about there for now. Anybody using XP and online banking should stop doing so. Now.

All UK retail banking is susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks esp. home computers,, mobile phones, hole-in-the-wall cash machines and (worst) the small terminals often used by small traders such as convenience stores. Most of the EU is better as €uroland uses a much stronger chip.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 12 May 2015 10:15

Rollo,

Thanks for that. Just about all I can state about my pc is that it has Windows7 and IE11.

As to the messages regularly generated by Trusteer. GR is reported, but no other website. And I do visit quite a few. So I must presume this to be a glitch, rather than some virus attack.

I still have a trusty old box with XP. It has not been connected to the internet since support was terminated. It has some old Family History and photo imaging software that I still use. And was the reason why I had 7 rather than 8.1 on the box I now use.

I intend to move to 10, but not sure when. Is whatever version presently available in a fairly stable state?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 May 2015 11:06

I have never seen Trusteer running on a home computer before all my experience with it is business and they don't allow stuff such as family history!

So far as WIn7/IE11 is concerned you should be fine. There are some known timing problems with GR relating to its implementation of IIS server. You should try using the latest version of firefox and see if you get the same problem or not.

Any version of IE is pretty terrible vis a vis standards and that could be a factor as GRU make little effort to tune their site to individual browsers as it costs serious money.

The release version of Windows 10 will have a whole new browser with IE11 an option for those ( main in biz ) who need "compatability". Most of UKGov is still on IE6 let alone anything later ...

good luck

ps: If you have Win7 running there is not much point in downgrading to the horrendous Win8.1. Much better to wait for yr free Win10 upgrade.