General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EDWARD DRISCOLL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leigh

Leigh Report 31 Aug 2015 15:40

Hi I am looking for any info/help on finding my ancestor Edward Driscoll he was born in 1847 in Cork Ireland, he had 4 sons and 7 daughters with Mary Ann Haggerty his eldest Son (my great grandfather) was born in London in 1869, not sure when he moved to England and unable to find records of his marriage so must of married in Ireland. If anyone has any info of his parentage brothers/sisters that would be great thank you

Iris

Iris Report 31 Aug 2015 16:38

Leigh
the problem with irish records is that a lot of them were burnt in the troubles out there .back in the early 1900s. have you tried ancestry, there might be something there . good luck . iris

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Aug 2015 17:17

You could try Irishgenealogy.ie

It would help if you could post the census that you have him on, just for our ref to work back from.

Leigh

Leigh Report 31 Aug 2015 17:33

Hi yes I realised when I researched a while back came to a complete standstill with the records getting burnt that's why I thought long shot there maybe a distant relative on here that knew more than me I am on ancestry as well have been for a couple of years now will copy the census on here also I am sure I have tried the irishgenealogy.ie in the past will go take another look thank you :)

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Aug 2015 17:39

There is also the recent release of Irish registers at

http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

but it is not indexed by name so you have to search by Parish, and it isn't a quick process!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Aug 2015 19:50

Leigh

it is extremely unlikely that you will get someone who actually knows anything about ancestors just passing by.

You have the Search All Trees, and then contact the member(s) who have the name in their tree ............. go to Search at the top right, Search All Trees, follow instructions.

Leigh

Leigh Report 1 Sep 2015 16:35

Hi thank you for all your help definitely going to look on records, I also put a post on here yesterday about another relative and someone saw and now we are in contact so I think it was a good idea you never know it could happen again for this relative as I have now found doing it this way about 5 distant relatives that gave me loads of info!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Sep 2015 17:12

Leigh ..

you've really been very lucky!!

It is estimated that many many less than 1% of GR's members even look at the Boards.

And, we think the majority of GR members are still Free members, which means they cannot send messages to any other member even if they do look at the Boards unless they upgrade to a subscribing member.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Sep 2015 17:56

Not being pessimistic, but do make sure any info you are given is correct, there are a lot of Edward Driscolls out there, it is very easy to go down the wrong path when quite common names are involved. :-)

Leigh

Leigh Report 1 Sep 2015 18:33

I know its a long shot but spoke to a couple more relatives and they have given me precisely where the family comes from in Ireland and some other info so hopefully that will help in my search :)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 1 Sep 2015 19:55

Leigh...I suggest you post this thread on Find Ancestors Board...I rarely look on here and am sure lots of others don't either...In the meantime I will have a look for you...

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 1 Sep 2015 20:12

Is this Edward in 1871...???

Name Edward Driscoll
Event Type Census
Event Date 1871
Event Place St Mary Whitechapel, London, Middlesex, England
Enumeration District 7
Gender Male
Age 23
Marital Status Unmarried
Occupation Labourer
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Birth Year (Estimated) 1848
Birthplace Cork, Ireland

There were only 2 Edward Driscoll's b Cork about the time frame you mentioned and both were 1849...
Edward Driscoll son of Jerh.Driscoll and Cath Walsh Jan 12
Edward Driscoll son of Ed.Driscoll and Ellen Sullivan April 15
Parish of Schull East.
Diocese of Cork and Ross

Leigh

Leigh Report 3 Sep 2015 14:51

I know the family came from Baltimore in Cork (as according to family) we owned most of it lol not sure how true that is though

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 Sep 2015 16:05

Leigh....Always believe the family..!!!
It always was and still is Driscoll territory...
Its a beautiful fishing village on the most south west tip of the County Cork and comes under the Parish of Rath and the Islands....Surely you should know that..! The southern part of West Cork was the Barony of Carbery and the O'Driscolls of Baltimore were one of its pre-eminent clans.

Leigh

Leigh Report 3 Sep 2015 16:09

I have had family members from abroad go to Ireland and visit but never been there myself unfortunately would just love to know more info on Edward than I have lol

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 Sep 2015 18:05

Leigh...
Where was Edward and Mary Living when your g.grandad was born....?