General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Letting someone view my tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 31 Aug 2015 18:49

I can view my cousins tree on Ancestry, as a guest, but wondered if l can do this on Genes. A cousin wants to see it. Thanks.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Aug 2015 19:09

He'd have to subscribe then send you a message. You can then open your tree to him.

The alternative is to give him your email and log-in details............which you may not want.

You could download a copy as a gedcom then either send a copy to him to load onto Ancestry, or open a non-subscribing account on the site, and up-load it yourself.

Apparently there are 'free' on-line sites you can load your tree onto and invite people to view.

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 31 Aug 2015 19:29

Thank you. He is on another site so doubt he will pay a subscription. Maybe get my tree transferred somewhere. Not really up on things....so didn't know l could get a copy on gedcom.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Aug 2015 19:49

The instructions are here. The download should only take a few minutes. If it stalls for more than, say, an hour, contact support. They won't be staffing the office until tomorrow.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=449

Your tree will remain on GR. You will only be downloading a copy. It won't make a lot of sense to you if you open it on your own computer unless you have a family history programme.

In case you need it, the email address for Support
[email protected]

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 31 Aug 2015 20:57

Thank you very much. Will do it now.