General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

error message

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2016 12:38

is frequent at the moment :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 10 Jan 2016 12:57

I only get it on 2 of the games threads - both such well-used favourites that it's not surprising if the many years' memory chokes the system a bit!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jan 2016 17:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyw6_lu3Y7Q

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jan 2016 00:48

You have 49595 post against your name - that might have something to do with it.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Jan 2016 01:04

I haven't had an error message since Saturday :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2016 00:57

I haven't been able to get on My Threads for almost a week.

I can access all the other Boards, but not My Threads :-(

Allan

Allan Report 15 Jan 2016 10:15

Like Elizabeth, I'm receiving the error messages on the Games Threads.

Not just on the word threads but also on the food one :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2016 10:27

Same as Sylvia. My threads is very erratic. :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2016 18:10

My Threads isn't erratic ........

......... it just won't open no matter how many times I try! :-|

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Jan 2016 18:16

you had to jinx it ... !

I had never ever had an error message

yesterday I had it constantly :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 15 Jan 2016 18:40

I blame the weather ;-)

Gee

Gee Report 15 Jan 2016 19:17

Same as Sylvia.......I guess they are tinkering again

As for the 'search' facility...............it's about a year since that worked! Google works better

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2016 19:41

tinkering??

I think they actually are doing nothing!

the site is being left to fall apart :-( :-|

Gee

Gee Report 15 Jan 2016 19:46

That may well be a thought :-|

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Jan 2016 05:35

AARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

I had to "Run The Gauntlet" of Error Messages to get in!

:-| :-P :-| :-P :-| :-P :-| :-P :-P

Kense

Kense Report 16 Jan 2016 09:45

I think that the site is becoming too clogged up.

The easiest solution for GR might be to accidentally woosh a couple of large threads.

Perhaps they could instead, just close the large threads but allow them to be read. Then new threads could be started with a link to the old one in the opening post.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jan 2016 10:46

Those of us with a large post count could try to remove some from Chat style threads. Would that make a difference?

Kense

Kense Report 16 Jan 2016 11:53

You would have to delete hundreds of posts to make much of a difference. That would take ages.

If you are the OP on a big thread then you could delete it which would probably make a difference but would irritate the other contributors.

Possibly it is processing for Watched Threads that causes the timeouts that give rise to the Error Message. For a large thread there may be many "lapsed" members who get informed of updates to the thread.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Jan 2016 11:58

no ;

the problem is related to distance from the server + user's speed of connection and ping time. Try running a speed checker. Ping should be around 18ms and anything > 30ms will give problems. Similarly net connection < 4 Mb/sec - common with USB Key connections or mobile data - can create timeouts. Lastly if there are a lot of nodes between the server and user timeout errors are more likely than not. This mainly affects users in OZ, Canada etc.

There is only one server located in Greater London nr Croydon. There are no servers in other countries.

Most web sites use Apache web servers which out-of-the-box are fairly easy to setup for resilience so that users get a result regardless of connection quality.

GR uses a Microsoft IIS 7 server which is picky. IIS is really designed for company intranets not publicly facing web servers. However Bright Sold's main biz is yeah, company intranets so DCTFH have to live with what they are given. IIS7 is not the best choice if the budget is tight either. Setting up IIS7 to allow flaky connections also leaves it very open to being hacked.

My guess is that at some point GR will quietly disappear absorbed by FMP and the Facebook site. It has the "do not resusicate" feel of web sites at the end of the line. Even Errol has gone away.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 16 Jan 2016 13:41

Not only error message but now being thrown
out on occasion.