General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

if this site folds

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 19 Jan 2016 00:00

news to me)`how am I going to find out things that only English people know or can find out????

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

So this place isn't like is was back when it started , well either am I.

WHO AM I GOING TO TALK INTO DOING MY RESEARCH FOR ME???:-D??????????:-D??????????????:-D???????????????:-D??????:-D???????????????

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jan 2016 00:52

RMS .............. I really don't know!

FMP doesn't appear to have any Boards, and is expensive anyway

Ancestry does have places where you can ask for help ............ but is expensive

I guess that you'll just have to have the home email addresses of several of us. :-)

HOWEVER ........... the talk today is ONLY about FriendsReunited, there has been no mention that GR will also be closed ......

.......... I rather think it will be left to deteriorate even further, and will eventually just expire as no support or technical improvements or corrections are made.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 19 Jan 2016 01:02

Oh good, that's a relief. you had me worried

I don't have any friends in England so I don't use FriendsReunited :-D

I did have some e-mails but I ............. ummmmmmmm lost them :-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Jan 2016 01:10

just wondering

The "blurb" that GR has/had........... does it still mention millions of members?

:-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jan 2016 01:21

yep

14 million :-)

but as they never delete anyone ....... that's cumulative from when the site began

Don't know how many are actually active

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Jan 2016 02:37

I found it on the Facebook page........

looks like 1 million dropped off .........

Join over 13 million members and search over 750 million names to find your ancestors at www.genesreunited.co.uk

Like you Sylvia, I wonder how many of the 13 million are still on planet Earth.

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 19 Jan 2016 08:26

I am & i still go in most days

i still think this is a good place to find people

More people reply to you on here than on ancestry

I am in the UK - not likely to leave it even though I would like to - just cant afford to leave

I think i will be on here till they kill me off & delete the site around me

Joy

Joy Report 19 Jan 2016 08:45

There are several other friendly family history forum sites :)
including

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

http://www.familytreeforum.com/forum.php

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=2

http://www.genealogyresearchassistance.com/

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jan 2016 09:23

I think if we get the idea that they are in imminent danger of closing we will all be exchanging contact e mails so you will still have English contacts RMS. In fact you should still have my e mail address somewhere :-)

Kense

Kense Report 19 Jan 2016 09:33

They didn't seem to notice when they reached the 14 million mark last June.
At least another 96,000 have joined since then. Mostly free members I would assume.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 19 Jan 2016 10:30

Findmypast and sister site Mocavo Come Together
Findmypast aims to deliver a more focussed, efficient and comprehensive service to US family historians
The move is part of Findmypast’s plans for continued expansion in the US
Leading family history website Findmypast, has today announced that sister site Mocavo will be incorporated into Findmypast to create a single experience for customers interested in discovering more about their family history.
The move forms an important part of the US growth strategy set out by Annelies van den Belt, CEO of Findmypast, and will bring the best aspects and features of both sites into one place.
The two websites are currently working together to transfer Mocavo’s strengths and expansive record collections over to Findmypast.
The transition will begin immediately and is expected to be completed within the next few months.
The move is part of Findmypast’s continued expansion and growth in the US market. By merging the two brands, Findmypast will create a more focussed and efficient business that will offer a more comprehensive experience to US customers while continuing to offer the industry’s best British and Irish collections.
In 2016, Findmypast will also be publishing hundreds of millions of new and exclusive US records to further enhance the experience for US family historians.
As part of Findmypast’s commitment to sustain Mocavo’s ‘free forever’ promise, Mocavo subscribers will continue to enjoy free access to all of the same records that were previously published for free on Mocavo. In addition, they will be invited to take advantage of a subscription to Findmypast equivalent to their existing Mocavo subscription. Mocavo customers can easily import their family trees onto Findmypast and can immediately start to receive hints opening the door to new discoveries that they never knew existed. A subscription to Findmypast will allow them access to the site’s entire collection of records, containing over eight billion names, as well as the thousands of new records released by Findmypast every week.
Annelies van den Belt, CEO of Findmypast, said; “A key part of our 2016 US growth strategy is to centralise our efforts on one core brand, Findmypast. Combining Mocavo’s strengths and Findmypast’s massive collection of British and Irish data will allow us to provide a richer and more comprehensive experience to family historians all over the world.”

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jan 2016 12:50

Interesting Lynda. Wonder where that leaves us? :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2016 12:59

Reply from GR on their FB page on a query re closure,

"Genes Reunited Hi everyone. Please be assured this will not affect Genes Reunited! If you do have any questions, please let us know."

;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Jan 2016 13:17

" Hi everyone"!!!!!!!

I'm surprised genes doesn't just make itself a Facebook site.

They are just not interested in the rest of us paying members.

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2016 14:02

namelessone they hardly ever post on FB either now, unless it's an account query.

Island

Island Report 19 Jan 2016 14:45

13 million members? That would be 13 million registrations not individuals.

Likewise 750 million names. That could be cut in at least half as most are duplicated. It's rare that I find a name with only one entry.

With so many members on FB why don't some of you set up a group page? It can be as private as you like, closed groups and secret groups are just two options

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2016 15:12

Some members are already part of several Genealogy groups, some open to all, on FB, offering the help that they give or gave on here. :-)

Island

Island Report 19 Jan 2016 15:38

Nobody told me Rose *shrugs* Am I alone?

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2016 15:46

Nooo it isn't a secret Island :-) well one is a private group, but the other is open for anyone to post on if they have genealogy queries.

I'm easily found on FB if anyone wants to lol but I am not sure that many do ;-) but I don't use it much for chatting, except to rellies who live a long way away.

GR was the first site I went on to chat, and it's had its moments that's for sure, but it's 'comfortable' I suppose
:-)

Island

Island Report 19 Jan 2016 15:59

I don't see anyone inviting others to join, private or public. I still think it's the way to go if and when GR folds. I know some people are reluctant to give FB a go but I find FB groups much friendler than GR - and no aggro, at least on the ones I use lol