General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mars

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 15 Apr 2016 22:03

I see Mars is to mark some foods like Dolmio pasta sauce as only suitable for use once a week due to the sugar content. They haven't announced any plans to mark Mars bars so I guess it's true, "a Mars a day helps you work rest and play".
Deep fried anyone?

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Apr 2016 22:37

You know it's bad, when the manufacturer tells you to stop eating their product!! :-0

No problem for me. I threw out a jar of Dolmio earlier this year. It had been in my cupboard for at least 4 years - shows how often I use it!.

I wonder how many other manufacturers will admit they've been 'poisoning' us for years.

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Apr 2016 01:34

I think that the one thing that would encourage you to give your children copious amounts of sugar is that bloody sanctimonious advert where the blue people count the sugar cubes in bloody everything with that bloody app that bloody Mum has.

Do you get the idea that it annoys me?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Apr 2016 08:03

:-D :-D Sharron!

At least now, when I see my dentist and he goes on about the state of my teeth - all my own, no crowns four fillings when I needed one, at the age of 12 (just in case, that dentist said), slightly gappy and stain easy - but they are over 55 years old.

When he goes on about my smoking, and even worse, my taking sugar in tea and coffee, I can reel off the sugar-laden foods I DON'T eat :-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 16 Apr 2016 08:44

According to the health Gestapo anyone that takes two sugars in their tea will be dead by lunch time!
Totally switch off now, coffee good, oh no Coffee bad. Chocolate good, oh no chocolate bad. Aspirin a day good, oh no Aspirin bad. Red wine good oh no red wine bad. Well too much water will drown you! ;-)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 16 Apr 2016 09:35

Coffee is good again - for today!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Apr 2016 11:04

I can recommend having most of your milk teeth knocked out or shattered into bits at around the age of five. :-0

The new ones don't half grow in straight and strong when there's nothing to impede them. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Apr 2016 15:47

For those who've read this far, 'twas me, I was gummy bear for quite a long time and a prettier girl you would struggle to find :-0

I jest, of course. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Apr 2016 16:09

“You are old, Father William,” the young man said,
“And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head –
Do you think, at your age, it is right?”

“In my youth,” Father William replied to his son,
“I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I’m perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again.”

“You are old,” said the youth, “as I mentioned before,
And have grown most uncommonly fat;
Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door –
Pray, what is the reason of that?”

“In my youth,” said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
“I kept all my limbs very supple
By the use of this ointment – one shilling the box –
Allow me to sell you a couple?”

“You are old,” said the youth, “and your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak –
Pray, how did you manage to do it?”

“In my youth,” said his father, “I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life.”

“You are old,” said the youth, “one would hardly suppose
That your eye was as steady as ever;
Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose –
What made you so awfully clever?”

“I have answered three questions, and that is enough,”
Said his father; “don’t give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
Be off, or I’ll kick you downstairs!”

Lewis Carrol

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Apr 2016 16:35

Rollo, from me now :-D :-D :-D

Sometimes, when the weather is horrible, I get bored enough to dance around the kitchen 'cos I can't seem to get my serious hat on then. ;-) :-S

This is one of those afternoons when we've had rain, sleet, snow and sun.

However, I'll do my best to stick to the subject now. (Can you imagine what it was like trying to teach me?)

I drink too much coffee, eat chocolate (dark), mints and gingers, eat red meat and, in fact, there's not much that I wouldn't tackle but I don't care because I do it all in moderation.. :-D I do, however, try to walk to she shops and tend to break into a dance at home when some music that I like comes on - and I feel that I'm lucky enough to be able to do that still.

If I was told by the doc that I ought to watch my intake of anything, I most certainly would, without hesitation.

Until then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not overdoing anything. :-D