General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A "new" word...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 May 2016 05:31

SMOMBIES

:-D

From our local newspaper...

The 2015 German youth word of the year was "smombies" ~ people who walk (and cross the road unheedingly) while using their smartphones.

:-D

There's also a snippet about a city in Germany (don't know which one) that has put traffic lights on footpaths so smartphone users don't have to look up from their screens!

:-S

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 4 May 2016 07:54

personally I would just call them idiots :-0. I really canĀ“t understand the need to have your phone glued to your hand. Old yes, do I care NO. I would rather be old than ignorant. :-0

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 May 2016 08:28

I think they are SO rude, walking around, not watching where they are going, everyone else has to dodge around them. We were in a shopping mall last week, the smombies were wandering all over the place. They seem to have a radar so that they don't bump other smombies!

:-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 May 2016 08:59

I stand still so they suddenly realise. Love to watch the look on their face when they realise I haven't moved. Which gives me the impression that they know I am there and expect me to move. :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 May 2016 09:20

I'm sure they are related to the people who go out in packs. You know the ones..... they form a line... across, not single file.......... and they expect YOU to get out of their way! Where do they expect us to go?

:-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 May 2016 23:32

In that situation, LadyScozz, I usually swiftly move to the inside of the pavement, with large bag/rucksack their side. They either have to move for me, or get a bag in their crotch or a rucksack in their face - both if I've got a lot of shopping!! :-D

...we get a lot of student tourists in Winchester, who walk around in packs....