General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Invasion of the woodlouse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 May 2016 20:03

I have never seen so many as there are in our house this year.

Clear and room and others are just waiting and watching before sneaking out ....aaaargh!!!!

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 4 May 2016 20:12

That's a sign of damp somewhere Sis.... :-(

Thought you were talking about you friends on Twttr..... :-D

Jane

Jane Report 4 May 2016 20:35

I get lots of them.I know them as Chuggypigs :-D :-D...They seem to appear in numbers and die under the settees :-S.I then have a big sweep.So far this year they don't seem to have been such a problem as past years.(fingers crossed it stays that way.). I think they are quite cute :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 May 2016 21:14

preferable to an invasion of cat fleas I can assure you :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 May 2016 21:29

Ann :-0
The house I now live in was infested when I moved in - so my cats were immediately infested too..
It took a good 18 months before I was 'happy' they had gone, and up until about 10 years ago, I sprayed the house throughout, every 3 months.

Puts the yearly ant infestation into perspective - they're eating my skirting board in the kitchen, but can appear in hundreds on the worktop by the sink.
This year, they didn't have a chance, I was on the ball. I saw half a dozen - and the 'Nippon' came out.

I don't think I'd fancy woodlice - they crunch when you step on them :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 May 2016 21:40

I had to have council in a few months back - so relieved they came in a plain van - the shame of it :-D :-D :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 May 2016 21:50

I know they are supposed to be attracted by moisture but there is none in the sitting room...lolol I think they like the warmth.

At least they are somewhat less obvious than the cockroaches that used to march across the floor in Spain and Malta.

Still a blasted nuisance though :-|

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 May 2016 22:27

could it be damp emanating from your commode :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 May 2016 00:21

I am sure when they see how grumpy you are they will move next door with their tin hats tightly on their heads :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 5 May 2016 01:11

Shut up you two :-P :-P :-P :-P

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 May 2016 10:36

:-D :-D :-D <3

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 5 May 2016 20:11

I am told that deep fried they taste like shrimps.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 May 2016 20:20

Well Bob you try them first

and we will just watch for now ;-) ;-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 5 May 2016 20:46

They are actually related to shrimps.

Quote.........The woodlouse is the only species of crustacean to inhabit inland and not watery habitats. There are thought to be over 3,000 different species of woodlouse around the world.

http://a-z-animals.com/animals/woodlouse/

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 6 May 2016 09:02

I occasionally get them in the conservatory ,but not many.
I don't have an animal,but I had dog fleas a couple of years ago.dont know if I got them on my clothes from my friends dog,or that my daughter came with her dog,but whatever.I had them in my bed round my ankles....like Ann C I was so embarassed when they came and sprayed all over ,but as they do,we're in a plain van,but had a white protective suit on.it was awful.

I agree about Spain and the cockroaches....and we had termites in the woodwork which we couldn't see because it was under the paint and when I pressed a spot in the door jamb it was all eaten underneath...that cost a fortune as they came putting holes every metre around the house on the outside and inside the doors wardrobes etc inside.
The reason for this was that the houses had been built on land that had been a pine forest..
I don't like all these pests...and now I'm here I have the problem with my herring gulls..costing me a fortune in deterrents....we can't win can we? :-S

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 6 May 2016 11:34

We don't have pets now but have suffered from fleas in the past. Not when we had all the dogs and cats on the farm but when we had house pets. The farm had flagstones on ground level so no nice carpets to hide in. Absolute horrors! and months of work to eradicate them.

We have found a powder to sprinkle around the edges of rooms to try and kill the woodlice but it doesn't look too attractive :-(

Harry

Harry Report 6 May 2016 11:45

I find one in the Kitchen every few days. Gently moved to my green-house to join their friends.

What a good boy am I ( or daft). All creatures are entitled to life.

Happy days

'Once the game is over, king and pawn go into the same box.'

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2016 20:57

I was only thinking the other day that I hadn't seen any woodlice in the hosue this year .............

still haven't

BUT we have had mosquitoes around since March :-(