General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Currys

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 28 May 2016 15:35

Computer was taken away ten days ago for repair by the above firm. Came back still not working. Phoned again today, they will collect on Monday and bring it back on 4th June. I have forked out over a £1000 in insurance over the years with Currys so think I am entitled to a bit better service.

Anyone else had problems with them?

Phyll

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 May 2016 15:46

I went up there for advice about a Trojan. Was told the best thing was to buy a MacAfee card. I asked how I was meant to put it on the system when I couldn't get a search engine up. Was told it would work.

It obviously didn't work, so I then took mine up to the shop. .
Collected it a few days later - still had something wrong with it.
Back up with it (and this is a tower, not a laptop :-()
Collected it - it's fine, has been for nearly a year - but I no longer have a password :-S

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 28 May 2016 15:48

Would suggest you take a look at Currys/PCWorld on FB.

Lots of unhappy people :-(

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 28 May 2016 17:12

We also gave up on PC World. Four or five years ago we bought a new computer and needed a lot of stuff transferred from the old to the new machine. OH was very busy at the time so paid PC World to do it. They set some stuff up on a "virtual computer" which worked but was a bit of a pain. We've since been told it was totally unnecessary and even I have managed to move stuff out of the virtual computer by doing a simple c & p.

They also somehow lost our entire contact list!

Thankfully we had back-ups of all the important stuff but it was a real pain in the proverbial....OH might purchase from them but will never use them to do any work on the computer again.

Good luck Phyl. I hope you get it sorted.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 May 2016 14:11

I subscribe to a fortnightly computer magazine and Currys PC World are regularly cited for fobbing customers off whenever there are problems with faulty goods.

Is it a repair under an insurance policy, warranty or a faulty return under the Consumer Rights Act? Make sure you know what you are entitled to get from them and stick to your guns.

Phyll

Phyll Report 30 May 2016 13:45

thank you for your replies. The computer has just Been taken away for the second time.
According to the insurance policy if it is not fixed within 21days I should be entitled to a new computer or compensation to the original value.Watch this space - I don't believe it will happen.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 May 2016 16:30

Curry's are not really Curry's at all but DIXONS the Ratners of personal computing. They took over Curry's and decided that the name would be an easier way to nail unsuspecting customers. How true.
:-(

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 31 May 2016 14:12

We had a PC tower 14 months old - out of warranty but insured with PC World. We had a Power surge in the area & it blew something in the computer. Couldn't find a fix even on a system recovery - so took it to PC world.

They said they could recover the system & not lose anything - No charge - 2 days later we collected the machine.

Yes it was working - however it had several things on it we didn't want (Bing - Yahoo - Ebay - and several other things) a whole new start up - they got rid of Norton & installed their own firewall thingy. They had also done a complete factory install & lost everything we had on the computer. It hasn't worked that well since.

Took it back the next day

I blew a gasket in the shop in front of everybody. Made them remove everything we didn't want while I waited & made them give me a new Norton for free as well as a new Microsoft Office (as they lost my old one) . showed them the notes on their system which said - DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESTORE - speak to me first

They admitted they didn't read the notes & just cleaned the whole drive.

I removed my insurance & have never used them since. I now have a nice little shop who mend computers & so far have done a very good job with a laptop and a PC & very friendly and on time.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 31 May 2016 14:39

About 18 months ago, my daughter's PC broke down but, she had Whatever Happens cover with Curry's/PC World

It was collected for repair and returned here about a week later.... minus the power cable.
There was no charge left in the PC and no way to test if it had even been repaired!

Curry's admitted that they lost the cable that was sent to them with the PC.
It was obsolete and they couldn't source another one

It took a couple of weeks but my my daughter eventually got a new upgraded PC from Curry's /PC World.
She argued that her old one contained certain features not found in the newer version and they agreed to her choosing a new, rather more expensive model!
It was a Win Win situation after all.

If you are sending a PC for repair, put a label on the power cable plug, marked with your name, and PC model number

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that she knew her rights because she worked at Curry's during her student years and SOLD Whatever Happens