General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just when I thought it was safe to watch the telly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 Jun 2016 22:01

and the footyball season was over, blow me, up comes the Eurowhatsit and there's another month of it.

Whatever happened to the "Closed season"?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2016 22:54

Just wish they didn't call it 'Euro'. Not being followers we keep thinking they are talking about either the currency or the EU and the Referendum.

With my lunchtime TV treats taken off air, I honestly thought it was Wimbledon. That's Monday 27 June – Sunday 10 July. Wonderful for Sports fans, but dead boring for those of us who aren't.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jun 2016 00:29

........... and the first riots by English supporters happened on Thursday night in Marseille, after drinking all day at an Irish pub in the Old Town :-( :-P

The first game was today (Friday)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jun 2016 05:14

stupid idiots

more rioting in Marseille tonight .......... with English fighting everyone from Russians to the police.

Drinking all day, then can't hold their liquor

I reckon they should be banned

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Jun 2016 12:50

As the young un was still with me I let him have the footy on. What a palaver the lead-up was. I thought it was 'the pits' as far as entertainment was concerned.

The worst thing was .... Corrie was cancelled to show that presentation rubbish. :-D

Robert

Robert Report 11 Jun 2016 13:05

Why don't the BBC put sport on BBC2 and why don't ITV put sport on ITV2 and let normal people have their normal programmes????

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Jun 2016 13:10

Thank you Robert. :-D

If the powers-that-be have any common sense that is exactly the thing they would be doing.

It's not that we aren't sporty but that we don't want it to rule the programming.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jun 2016 13:20

I agree sport should be on a separate station, I am sure a lot of people would agree if they took a vote on it. And that opening ceremony was rubbish.

Robert

Robert Report 11 Jun 2016 14:50

I am a Football fan and an ex Referee, but I just want to watch a match and not listen for an hour before a match to "experts" talk about what or what not might happen.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jun 2016 15:14

Record it, Robert.

OH does that when there's an international RU tournament on. Not only can he pick & choose which ones to watch at a time to suit, he can skip through to kick-off rather than suffer the whittering and adverts.

We'd both agree with the suggestion for dedicated terresterial sports channels

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Jun 2016 15:36

They won't take a vote on it. TV / sport is large scale business and all of the decisions are made with a view to maximising ad revenue. The "whittering" is very revenue positive which is why the "experts" get paid a king's ransom.

get used to it

even with Freeview there another 40 channels

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 11 Jun 2016 15:53

So there are no 'normal' programmes on BBC2 then? I rarely watch BBC1 as it's mostly soaps and things like Strictly, which I loathe. So sport can replace all of those as far as I'm concerned :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jun 2016 16:18

Well, the whittering doesnt work with us. We don't want to watch talking-heads. if we're interested in the sport/competition, that's what we want to see.

It would really interesting if there was a genuine countrywide survey amongst sports viewers. Do they watch the preamble or spend the time making drinks/snacks/ensuring the pets have had their walk/been fed?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Jun 2016 16:48

http://www.barb.co.uk/

for the press see JICNARS Scale

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 11 Jun 2016 16:55

There will be NO SPORT on my TVs
Its banned in this house ;-) ;-)

LynGinN

LynGinN Report 11 Jun 2016 16:57

My OH has to watch it in his Man Cave :-D :-D

BrianW

BrianW Report 11 Jun 2016 19:55

It is good to see some sport on TV but it would be better if a wider range of sports could be broadcast.
At the moment football must account for 80 to 90 percent of the coverage spread over virtually ten months of the year, the exceptions being a fortnight of Wimbledon, a couple of classic horse races and maybe a little bit of skiing in the winter. Oh, and a few rugby highlights and cricket internationals.
No wonder people do not participate in sport, they hardly know what exists and can't all be footie millionaires.
Which leads to another point: the eye-watering sums paid by broadcasters for TV rights to broadcast matches, no wonder there's no money left to put into other sports coverage.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jun 2016 00:14

I agree with Robert and Brian!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 12 Jun 2016 14:32

Well - son is visiting - OH moaned son would want football and he wanted Grand Prix. He checked there is no clash. Football begins at 5.00p.m. whilst the cars begin at 7.00 p.m. so guess where I will be - bedroom is sport free. Just thought you could take that any way. :-) :-)

BrianW

BrianW Report 7 Aug 2016 18:58

Oh blast, it's started again, half way through the cricket season!