General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

keepsafe doesnt work

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Back2roots

Back2roots Report 8 Jul 2016 10:33

This keep safe feature never works. I can save to saved records folder but if i click on keep safe the page just hangs and freezes then I get an error message. I moved a document from saved to keepsake and I think it moved there as its gone from save but now I cannot access it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Jul 2016 14:06

GR FH tree pages are like a tired old pushbike shared by half a dozen students. It will mostly get you down the pub and maybe back again if someone pumps up the tyres and mends the flats. One day the chain will break and that we be that.

GR has not fixed anything broke on the tree pages for years.
If you want something that works there are plenty of options at prices from free to > £ 200 pa.

good luck

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jul 2016 14:29

Rollo normally gives good suggestions to help with IT problems, but he's a bit 'down' at the moment.

Try emailing Genes and hope to receive a reply within 3, excluding weekends, working days

[email protected]
[email protected]

MBSG

MBSG Report 8 Jul 2016 15:48

I've just viewed mine, including something I saved this week and it seems to be working ok but I access GR through Chrome. Hope that helps.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Jul 2016 20:46

Keepsafe dates back to a time when GR had a software budget and the team wanted something like Google Keep OneNote or Evernote. They overreached themselves and "Keep" is the remnant. I have got it working on this computer. On two others ti doesn't.

GR test against Chrome only no other browser. The excuse is that Chrome fully implements standards and other browsers don't. Actually it is far cheaper to work like that. Thus Detective is bang on the money for best results with GR use Chrome.

We are a linux shop and I haven't got around to trying GR and Edge as yet and can see no point as Windows 10 is about to aquire, yes, the never ever again but it will happen, ServicePack !!!!!

GR will work fine with Explorer 11. If you have any trouble try deleting hhe cache and then restrat the browser.

Firefox is a bit tricky. Try flushing yr cache and restarting the browser task.

The Firefox project has had a rush of blood to the head. First off they waved away Google's millions which had kept them afloat "so as to preserved independence". Next they took against Flash and are trying to squeeze it out with the result that some video no longer plays and BBC iPlayer may or may not run. Even better Firefox have copied Opera and decided to be an arbiter of "standards" even if it breaks code keeping old sites together such as GR. Their share is down to around 25% ( from > 60% ) as many people are not interested in the technical purity of their browser but only in that it works. The missing users have taken Detective's advice and moved to Chrome.

I hope the above passes muster with Detective who is sound on IT matters..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jul 2016 21:48

T'weren't me Rollo, but thanks for the 'compliment' ;-) :-D

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 8 Jul 2016 23:57

Mine is working fine.. :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 9 Jul 2016 00:12

So is mine. :-)

I also use GOOGLE CHROME. I find it much better than Internet Explorer.

I use the Keepsafe facility all the time. I even upload photos from my new phone into my Keepsafe, then download them into my lappy! :-D :-D

I also use it to post Keepsafe page links onto threads. Then I can share pictures with my GR Friends. :-)

Back2roots

Back2roots Report 9 Jul 2016 07:38

Ive tried with chrome, safari and firefox and made no difference. Just gets stuck then get an error page. I just tried again today and still same problem. This is really lame. Its clearly a fault on the website side not the browser or my mac. There also seems to be no way to attach any documents to my relatives. I edit the record and type the rels name and save but they do not even appear in the relatives records.
Im not impressed with this website and there are some great competitive options so I have canceled my subscription. Not gonna pay for a broken system and this credit system is also an utter rip off.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 9 Jul 2016 08:47

Would someone explain how I access items I have in "Keepsafe" without having to pay credits to view them....totally bamboozled.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2016 09:10

If you bought them with credits, as part of last years 50 credits when you renewed your 'basic' sub or while you had a full sub, access has probably expired.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/payments/credit?isgift=false

Access to to images purchased with credits only last 30 or 90 days. Anyone who uses that system are well advised to down load them straight away to their computer, then back up to their Keepsafe.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 9 Jul 2016 13:03

I'm having no problem at all with mine!

I have just searched for an original Census record for my Great Grandparents and Grandmother.I already had this in my Keepsafe, but was curious to see if there would be a problem. As I have a Platinum Subs I can access unlimited records, so I thought I would experiment with regards to the expressed problems.

I found the Original Census record and then saved it to my Keepsafe. I then used the Edit button to attach it to all three relatives.Then I checked it to see if it had worked.
It is there in my Keepsafe attached to my relatives, alongside the one I'd already stored there some years ago.

I am not finding a problem at all! :-S :-S

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 9 Jul 2016 13:12

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1360941

(just to say, before you leave (if you haven't already gone, lol) any more we can help with on above?)

Chris :)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Jul 2016 13:19

whatever else you do remove Safari from any Windows system. It has been withdrawn by Apple, is full of security holes and aspects of it can generally screw up a windows PC. Much the same is true of iTunes except that iTunes also screws up Apple systems too.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 9 Jul 2016 20:17

+++DetEcTive+++

Yes that's exactly what I did...but I don't recall seeing anywhere that was the case but It is what it is...
Thank you for the explanation.