General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death register names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Back2roots

Back2roots Report 10 Jul 2016 07:24

Does the death index show married name or maiden name?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jul 2016 07:26

The death register will be in the current surname

The actual cert from 1969 should show the woman's maiden name on it but that won't show on the GRO ref

Back2roots

Back2roots Report 10 Jul 2016 07:35

But on one side of the family it seems both grandmother and great grandmother who died in the 80s have married name on the index but on the other side my great grandmother is registered with maiden name in 1954. Does that sound right?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jul 2016 07:47

No. Think this refers to your other thread where is was shown she married a couple of times

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1360982

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jul 2016 08:13

This is who you are referring too

MABEL MARION
Last name SAUNDERS
Birth year 1892
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's last name -
District EDMONTON
County Middlesex
Country England
Volume 3A
Page 325
Record set England & Wales births 1837-2006

Her first marriage

Marriages Mar 1913
Holloran George Saunders Edmonton 3a 1003
SAUNDERS Mabel M Holloran Edmonton 3a 1003

Her second
Marriages Mar 1948
Chelsom John R Holloran Uxbridge 5f 381
Holloran Mabel M Chelsom Uxbridge 5f 381

And her death

Jun 1971
CHELSOM Mabel Marion 9De1891 Hillingdon 5c 751

:-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Jul 2016 08:56

My grandfather changed his name but his sons knew about it so when the Registrar wrote out his DC he also wrote 'otherwise known as .....'

His death is registered in both names.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jul 2016 10:45

I found someone who had married into the family and ordered her death certificate in that married name, as shown on GRO index.
When the certificate arrived, her surname was shown to be a different name, as she had subsequently remarried, but the informant had known of the 1st marriage and so that 1st married surname was recorded in the 'other names' section and the death was indexed under both married surnames.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jul 2016 19:26

The OP has asked a question that really isn't a question in her case ...............

It has been shown on another thread that the Mabel Marion Saunders whose death registration she found is NOT the person she was looking for .................

it was proved, as Shirley has indicated on her post above, that gt grandmother Mabel Marion Saunders had remarried a second time, and the death registration has been found in that name.