General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Untraceable help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 4 Aug 2016 15:04

I have been trying for months to upload a gedcom file but it keeps reporting unable to upload, where do I get help because despite searching for hours I am unable to find it. I think this is the worst genealogy site available.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Aug 2016 15:22

Other people are experiencing problems uploading gedcoms.

email
[email protected]

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Aug 2016 16:09

The GED files will upload OK if they conform to GR interpretation of GEDCOM5 dating back to the last "upgrade". Note that any existing tree will be completely overwritten.

The data field which causes the most problems is DATE which must be in GR preferred format, DD/MM/YYYY or just YYYY. 23 Jul 1917 won't do for instance. Neither will US format.

If your dates do not conform you will need to run a correction script before trying to import. The GEDCOM file is in text format.

Other stuff such as unexpected punctuation will also cause problems. When you start to add data from GR it will also impose its own ideas for formatting such things as place names. If there are any errors the import routine won't inform you of them. Export takes from 1 to 48 hours.

GEDCOM is a miserable format for FH data transfer and we would by now be using XML except that the Mormons had a hissy fit two or three years ago and went off on their own with the ball.

Deep inside the dark caves of Microsoft Research there is a (free) very good tree program which imports GED files and saves them as XML It has neat graphics too.. The exact url changes from time to time so you'll have to dig it out yourself.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Aug 2016 07:04

Over the years I have successfully imported dozens of files from various versions of FTM to GR where the dates are in the format 07 Jan 1877 so can vouch that does work ok.

Abt. Mar 1965 is fine too - I use it all the time when all I have is the quarter in which an event was registered. Bef. 1820 works also as does Bet. 1851-1861

However, there is another issue at this point in time as it appears the GR gedcom processor isn't running. You can import your file but it then hangs with the message

Import GEDCOM

Your tree is currently being processed. Please wait until your tree returns to the ready state before importing another GEDCOM file.

John

John Report 8 Aug 2016 21:29

Thank you but will it be fixed any time soon?