General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Black lives matter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Aug 2016 15:45

of course they do, but ALL lives matter, not just black!!!

Lee

Lee Report 5 Aug 2016 16:23

"White Lives Matter " just as much

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2016 16:40

That's true of course, but at least in the US it is probably more a case of perception?

Maybe it is the indisputable truth that more white lives are taken by police each year than black lives but nonetheless it is probably very hard to recognise that if you are one of those who feel police violence is still driven by underlying racism..and racism still exists that's for sure.

There's a fair few racists here lets face it.... to some white people black lives, Syrian lives, migrant lives, Gay lives DON'T matter, certainly not as much as those of 'people like us' !

If you are black in the US you are more likely to be poor, if you are poor you are more likely to live in deprived areas where there is more crime 'on the streets', if you are in a crime ridden area you are more likely to get drawn into it. Fewer chances to move upwards and onwards.

But even here our new PM has said :

"That means fighting against the burning injustice that if you’re born poor you will die on average nine years earlier than others.

If you’re black you are treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you’re white.

If you’re a white working-class boy you’re less likely than anybody else in Britain to go to university.

If you’re at a state school you’re less likely to reach the top professions than if you’re educated privately.

If you’re a woman you will earn less than a man.

If you suffer from mental health problems, there’s not enough help to hand.

If you’re young you will find it harder than ever before to own your own home. If you’re from an ordinary working-class family, life is much harder than many people in Westminster realise."

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2016 16:40

and as if on cue.... ;-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 5 Aug 2016 17:59

Quite so, Rose.

I agree with every word you said.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Aug 2016 18:34

think he's having an afternoon nap Rose :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Aug 2016 19:53

thought you were waiting for Rollo to make an appearance!! wrong person I gather :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2016 20:00

Ann, I was not waiting for Rollo , though I would be interested as ever to read his thoughts :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 Aug 2016 21:00

Loudmouth columnist Katie Hopkins provoked fresh outrage today after calling for water cannon to be used against Black Lives Matter protesters at Heathrow.

Ms Hopkins branded the group "utter dullards" after they chained themselves to the tarmac on an approach road from the M4, causing hours of travel chaos for holiday-makers.

Ten people were arrested at the protest and taken to a west London police station, while officers had to cut loose protesters who tied themselves to one another.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Aug 2016 21:21

such a lovely person - her mother must be so proud :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2016 21:26

I suppose KH is not capable of working out that if people have chained themselves together, using a water cannon is not likely to be an effective method of moving them ? .... she really is a moron, only comparable to the equally gobby and terminally dim Piers Morgan.

Both of them,along with Trump, make it on to my very short list of 'people for whom I would break my lifelong commitment to liberalism' to see them lined up against a wall and... whipped with nettles ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Aug 2016 21:29

and shot - twice :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2016 21:40

Ann I suppose if all lives matter, I can't go as far as saying "shootings too good for him" so maybe the value of Trump and his ilk is that he is an example to the rest of us of how NOT to behave.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Aug 2016 23:02

Of course Black lives matter. So do the lives that were disrupted today. The minimum wage workers who couldn't get to or were late for their airport jobs, holiday makers and business men who may have missed their flight.

Sure, the protestors got the air time, but not in a positive way.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 6 Aug 2016 19:18

It took me over two hours yesterday to get from J12 to J25 on the M25 The protest must have been a major factor. At the moment I have a very low opinion of the protesters.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Aug 2016 15:43

I was on facebook and there was this posting "Black lives matter". so I added "All lives matter" and the poster replied "You're out of your comfort zone Ann, leave it to professional activists" What an arrogant git