General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

windows 10 start menu

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Aug 2016 14:01

Start menu on my Windows 10 has just packed up, righthand click on that bottom lefthand key brings up a list of properties. Lefthand click brings up up nothing, except earlier today it was bringing up the oldtime desktop list only without the one I wanted on it! Please, any techie able to suggest a cure before I send for professional help?

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Aug 2016 14:08

OH says first thing to do is try a reboot. If you have already let us know. :-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Aug 2016 14:19

Oh yes, rebooted a few times, I was getting it two days ago, yesterday my daughter was trying to instal some photos for me to use as ID and we couldn't get Photo Gallery as the place to install them. She eventually invented a new file to get them on line to use. It was only this morning that I identified the hiccup. I can live temporarily with it, but I would like the start menu back (and all my old photo gallery pictures!)

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Aug 2016 14:59

Not much consolation to you but I recently bought a new laptop which was supposed to have been converted from Spanish to English and I have had so many problems.
The old one was converted with no problem at all, but the keyboard on this one has several keys in the wrong place.
After a general upgrade over the weekend my favourites bar disappeared and Microsoft were recommending an expensive app to get it back. Luckily it eventually reappeared.
Now today the whole thing has reverted to Spanish. I have just spent over an hour sorting it out.
Never had this problem with Win7.
Good luck. You have my sympathy. :-( :-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Aug 2016 15:37

Do a search for pictures, see what pictures you have are any missing? Photo gallery only brings photos together and doesn't hold them.

Let us know what happens.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Aug 2016 16:08

I have photo gallery as a collection, I put them together and they remain in date order. I suppose if it never reappears l can go through all the assembled programmes, Pictures, emails, etc. and pick out and put them in a new programme but it would be an awful chore! I do have access to it through Start so I must focus on getting that back!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Aug 2016 16:34

Have you still got the grey box alongside the bottom left-hand windows icon? If you have, try typing in there what it is you are trying to find.

We have Windows 10 for Dummies, and his advice is to use "Contact Support". You keep clicking the most appropriate choice until you get to what you want --- I've heard that one before, but it might be worth a try. :-)

Good luck. :-) :-)

Joy

Joy Report 8 Aug 2016 18:28

For the photo gallery, download Windows Essentials from this link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17779/download-windows-essentials

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Aug 2016 18:32

OH has been ploughing through the internet. There was an update from Microsoft that seems to have caused problems on some machines and he believes they've pulled it for the time being. He's still looking for info but said to give you what he's found so far.

He's just started looking at our machines and stopping automatic updates. He's just checked this laptop. :-S

The updates started about 29 July for some machines.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 8 Aug 2016 18:48

I am just in the process of downloading from your link JoyD, with trepidation though... but it looked good :-D

Joy

Joy Report 8 Aug 2016 18:50

It worked for me, JemimaFawr :)

The other items in the link do not have to be used once downloaded.
I would be lost without photo gallery, that's where my scans go.

Yes, Pat, it was the "anniversary" update.
It has caused worry!

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Aug 2016 18:52

Thank you all.

Andy's mum - I have the grey box, but it won't let me type anything in, it only shows the microphone, I am stone deaf so can't tell if it's working! though I think not.

Joydean - I did try Windows Essentials but all they seem to have is how to download a new programme, and I already have Photo gallery which transferred quite happily from Windows 7!

PatinCyprus - I have been getting automatic updates since moving to 10 (midMay), will have a look to see if there's anything significant.

In fact I find the oldtime desktop shortcut lists comes up when switching on though not the Start programme.

We do have a very good computer adviser, I shall have to ask him if this goes on - I was just hoping someone might point out something I'd missed!

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 8 Aug 2016 18:54

I think they all look good Joy, although I do have various photograph apps (is that the right word?) including from my Nikon Camera, and Microsoft. I have Adobe Photoshop Album starter pack, which I will probably uninstall cos I don't use it.

Joy

Joy Report 8 Aug 2016 19:12

Jemima, I disregard the word apps and say programmes :)
In fact, I disregard a lot of things I see here that I did not used to see on my vista that went to computer heaven.

This is a new computer so had to have windows 10 and am on a gradually upward learning curve :)

Joy

Joy Report 8 Aug 2016 19:16

Elizabeth, when I am really puzzled I sometimes ask on rootschat (it's free)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 8 Aug 2016 19:27

Joy, all programmes have downloaded except for the photos one and the film maker. It said it had a problem. But I already have versions of these so no matter.

I have a Vista upstairs. Well it was my Grandson's, but I love it. It's got my printer rigged up to it. It still works, but slow (on a signal catcher) but Google does not support it any more.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Aug 2016 22:39

Usually a problem with Windows 10 pre-release. A fresh install with Windows10 retail release is reocmmended. Leave the anniv. update alone it is buggy.

Method 1. Try reboot

Method 2. Use Command Prompt

Go to the Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, carry out the following steps.

Type: Powershell [enter]
Type: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
(you can copy n paste this)
[enter]

end

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 9 Aug 2016 11:30

Rollo - thank you. Have to be out for the rest of the day but when I am free to sit down undistracted I will try this!