General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I need to do some deep thinking ...............

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Aug 2016 23:21

............ and it's hard! :-D

My GR sub runs out on September 9. I have Auto Renew turned OFF, which means they should send me an email 4 weeks ahead of time

No email

but I have just seen RENEW at the top of the screen.

No, I am not going to say what they say I have to pay ................... this Board has seen too much angst about that no matter how much or how little

BUT ............. is GR still worth any amount (even if OH has said he will pay it for me)?

I find I am spending less and less time on here

--------
edited to change "to going" to "not going" :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Aug 2016 00:07

I feel I will have the same decision to make next May. I thought I might cancel my subscription this year because, as with you, I spend less time on here than I did.

My son talked me into renewing, saying the price was only the same as a few cups of coffee and that I'd miss coming on the site, even if it wasn't as much as I used to.

This is very true but the only problem is that to make it worthwhile looking in here I also have to renew my Findmypast subscription, which considering I am not doing any real research for myself any more, is quite expensive when it's just for doing look-ups for other people.

I'll have to see how I feel come May, but I sometimes wonder if these boards will have finally died the death by then.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Aug 2016 00:26

Kath .................

I think the same as you!

GR must still be "discussing the future" as they told me a couple of years ago ..........

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Aug 2016 01:54

Oh Sylvia, don't go. I hope at some point I will be able to spend more time here again.

I am not here much much at the mo as life is very stressful andl, my o.h. is close8se to a breakdown because of his father's stroke last November. The family, his sisters and him and their partners are 7nvolved with the bank and solicitors and trying to hound their stepmum off the joint account and out of 'their' family home, despite the fact the old man has been married for 8c over 040 years to the ste9mum. I am in the m7ddle as I won't go al8ng with their v7cious ways but l7ving amonst it all 7s mak7ng my health worse.

Oe0 now my son and his fiancee have been given a larger flat so I am trying to help them with the furnishings7shing and carpets etc and m8ving as m6ch as possible to save on van size and costs.

OH yes, and I recently heard from an old acqaintance of the deeath from asbestos7s 8f an old flame, and things he has told me have opened up a can of worms and a lot of old emotions nto0.

Yoo much going on for my tired brain.

Lizxx

This tablet won't let me correct errors, so ap8logies for g8bbledegook.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 29 Aug 2016 07:47

Stay with it Sylvia :-)

I only really come on GR to message folk about their replies but I do notice that you are still helping out. Your expertise is still valuable and it would be a shame not to use it. Those new folks who come on asking questions don't realise that the boards are deteriorating, so its good to be able to help them.

We've a lot to thank GR for - its how we became friends :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 29 Aug 2016 08:00

Don't go Syvia, it is such a small amount of money. I know it isn't the same as it used to be. I don't even bother looking to help people any more as there are so few requests and of course we have lost some lovely friends on chat, but you will be missed if you go - don't leave :-(

Huia

Huia Report 29 Aug 2016 08:26

I certainly plan to keep on, even though I dont take part in many threads, but I enjoy reading them, and at my age it is nice to have the occasional 'conversation' without having trouble hearing the other person. My hearing aids are not all they are cracked up to be.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 29 Aug 2016 11:31

Such a shame if people like yourselves who joined in the
early 2000's decide to leave.

Your researching for others was and is invaluable.
Even if you no longer use the site as you once did
it's always there for a time when you may begin to
enjoy it again.

Island

Island Report 29 Aug 2016 11:39

If you're only paying a few quid pa then I'd say yes, it is worth it if you enjoy the company.

If they've raised your sub considerably for some weird reason then I'd say 'stuff them'. It was a shame to lose Scozz recently but I agree with her principles in refusing to be ripped off.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Aug 2016 12:08

sylvia, I think, if it is only a smallish amount it is worth it to stay in touch with those you know on here. Even if you don't spend much time it is sometimes nice to relax and chat. Depends I suppose if there is something else you'd rather be doing.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2016 12:18

We'd certainly agree that things aren't as they used to be.

- fewer requests of help
- fewer chat threads even if they aren't on topics you've an interest in.

If the cost if affordable, hang on for another year. Your expertise might lead to a break-through on a brick wall & your experience of living in more than one country could (and often does) help to dispute 'facts' that other members may submit ;-)

Robert

Robert Report 29 Aug 2016 13:12

Genes Reunited is not the fun place it used to be and as a result I have decided not to renew in a couple of months time.

JustJean

JustJean Report 29 Aug 2016 13:26

Sylvia while I understand your way of thinking, I would miss you and the things you share with us all, I love reading about your trips and enjoy hearing how your way of life differs from mine , so dear friend if you do decide to go I would wish you the very best for you and your oh, but if you decided to stay I would be very pleased

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 29 Aug 2016 15:45

I had let mine lapse a few weeks ago having been utterly peeved about no discount for long term membership (since I think 2004) although without auto renewal.

I saw the thread about Shaun's Mother sadly passing away and wanted to add condolences so coughed up an arm and a leg.

Now I just have to get my money's worth and pee off as many people as possible ;-)

JOKE!!!!!! (well ...... almost)

Sue :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 29 Aug 2016 16:02

See what happens Sylvia, they leave (HOORAAAY) but miss us so much they return :-(

Waves to Sis ~~~~~ :-D :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 29 Aug 2016 16:19

~~~~~~~~~ to Bro :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Aug 2016 16:31

glad we have your insults for another year Sue!!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 29 Aug 2016 17:14

Why thank you Ann ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Aug 2016 17:43

Thank you all for your input. and your kind words.

Yes, I still help on the Boards

Yes, I still enjoy the few threads I look at regularly, and prize the friendships I've made on here

But it seems that GR is just deteriorating and being ignored ........... and even that many of the newbies are being stung in that they are not getting the support that they need if things go wrong.

How long can we go on being apologists and replacements for the powers-that-be?

Kense

Kense Report 30 Aug 2016 22:09

Sylvia, I would just like to add that I hope you stay for another year although I understand your reasons fif you don't renew.