General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you are going to scam, grammar is crucial

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Sep 2016 13:59

I really do think they could have made more effort:

Dear Valued Customer,

Due to recent unfortunate events occurring as widely by our treasured customers in recent weeks of their accounts getting compromised, we at USAA have decided to implement a fraud prevention measure to checkmate these unfortunate events from reoccurring.

In order to achieve that we need you to update your data in our database as we also intend to register your current IP address to ascertain online impersonators.

Log On To Update Your Information.

Note! Failure to comply will lead to online service suspension but in the interest of our valued customers.

USAA Online Banking.

©2016 All Rights Reserved.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Sep 2016 14:09

I'll mark that "could do better"

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Sep 2016 14:28

We are becoming a nation of money worriers. Our self-inflicted financial wounds are as numerous as a swarm of flies swirling ferociously around a lump of fresh cow dung – too many to count.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Sep 2016 14:52

I received yet another a call at 6pm last night from this number: 02031988079
Calls from this number usually refer to the Windows PC "problem" but my daughter kindly answered the phone and decided to pass it to me

A heavily accented female claiming to be from a Government Dept asked me if I receive many Nuisance Calls ???

Yes!
This is one. "I am talking to a nuisance caller right now"

She insisted that she was a NOT a nuisance caller so I asker her...

Did I contact your company?
Did I ask you to call me ?
Have I requested your services?
Did you check with the Telephone Preference Service before calling me?

"No" to all of above?
Then this is a Nuisance Call

She muttered something rather rude for a Government Official and hung up!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Sep 2016 15:29

Don't you just love it when they're lost for words, Glasgow? :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Sep 2016 15:49

Begorrah! 'Words' are my favourite insanity.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Sep 2016 15:57

I have given up now I answer the phone
in a Chinese voice saying

This take away waa day want
what numba whoo want
ann is dat with fiyed lice

They soon hang up :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Sep 2016 17:00

I wonder if fewer people would notice the bad grammar than would have done when we were in education.

Recently there has been a very exciting theme in the Archers which I have been listening to, the one about the narcissistic husband.

It was extremely gripping and believable until the scene in the jury room where Eileen Atkins was portraying a female academic of my kind of vintage who said " If........had not happened you would not be sat here now."

That leapt out and bit me hard. it was the end of plausibility for me.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Sep 2016 17:31

Off topic just a wee bit but Sharron reminded me...

My son in law is dyslexic.
With a longer words, rather than attempt to break them into sections, he simply says what he thinks the word could be.
Daughter gets frustrated and insists he should read it slowly, one syllable at a time and eventually he will get the right word.

Last week, he asks her... What is Man Get Out ?

Man Get Out ? I don't know, what are you reading?

"The weekly Lidl leaflet and Man Get Out is on offer"

Well he did break it up into syllables...... mangetout

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Sep 2016 17:32

'Words are the dress of thoughts, which should no more be presented in rags, tatters and dirt, than your person should'. (Earl of Chesterfield).

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Sep 2016 17:49

Heard a policeman talk about these scams, the grammar is deliberate according to him. If you don't notice poor grammar or bad spelling you are more liable to believe the scam. :-(

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 28 Sep 2016 21:33

I remember when these scams first started, in the 90's I think. They were Nigerian, beautifully written, tailored to the recipient and extremely plausible.

It was only after people began being caught out that the fact that they were scams became more generally known.

We sent copies of all the ones we received (by post, as pre email days) to the local police, who forwarded them to The Fraud Squad in London.

After this, more people who didn't speak good English joined in, the subjects became more and more far-fetched and I sometimes wonder how anyone can fall for it. :-( :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Sep 2016 12:23

Today's offering:-

Welcome to Amazon

We take you to note that your account has been Closed for protection, Where the password was entered more than once In order to protect , account has been suspended . Please update your Account Information To verify the account.

About Closing Your Account

After your account is closed, it is no longer accessible by you or anyone else This includes any Seller, Mechanical Turk, Associates, Web Services, or Amazon Payments accounts associated with your purchasing account. If you ever wanted to order from us again, or if you'd like to use website features that require a password,

Confirm your account now

Once your account is closed, it's no longer accessible by you or anyone else. You won't have access to your account history (including credit card information, order history, etc. Returns and refunds can't be processed for orders on closed accounts
(including textbook rentals).

Follow us Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Sep 2016 12:24

Yep - had that the other day. Whooosh - straight in the bin :-D

What's a 'Mechanical Turk'? The Turkish guy who works in the local garage? :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 Sep 2016 12:43

"Sara Thornton, who joined the Met Police in 1986 and went on to become vice president of the Association of Cheif Police Officers, narrowly missed out on the top job at the Met in 2008."

from the Daily Blue
whoosh straight in the bin
:-|

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Oct 2016 06:45

Oh dear, those helpful people at the Nat West are having a go this morning:-

Logo: NatWestHelpful Banking

Dear Customer,

Security machinery at National Westminster Bank has been upgraded to provide customers with a faster, easier and more efficient online experience.

All customers are required to update their account information.

Click here to Login to complete the update process.

Note: Failure to update your information will lead to online service suspension.

Yours sincerely,
Online Customer Service
National Westminster Bank plc

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Oct 2016 12:25

We regularly get emails from Barclays along similar lines.

We do not and never have had an account with Barclays!! :-S :-S

OH wants to tell them they are welcome to suspend our online accounts, but so far I have persuaded him not to do anything so daft! :-|

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Oct 2016 10:31

Surprise surprise one from Barclays a few minutes ago:-

New Barclays Account Warning

Unfortunately we cannot complete your transaction at this time.

Multiple Pin failure automatically places your account on hold.

Left restrictions?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Oct 2016 01:36

Well, I'm miffed - I rarely get any of these on my computer :-|

Perhaps I'm more computer savvy than I think, and have done something with my settings :-D

Edit: and that last comment is probably a cue for an inundation :-S

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 Oct 2016 09:07

Me: Hello

Caller: Hello - I am ringing about your problem with Microsoft.

Me: My microwave?

Caller: No...no...Microsoft.

Me: My microwave is working just fine...I just used it and it heated up my food just fine.

Caller: NO!! Microsoft...you have problem with Microsoft.

Me: Well food can go soft in the micro....

Caller hangs up :-D