General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any 'Cat' people on here?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 18 Jan 2017 12:55

I made a mistake today in a well known supermarket - S********y I bought the wrong cat food I have a 16 year old moggie, normally I buy Gourmet, Mon Petit and Whiskas, (whatever one is on offer) she's not got many teeth so I like to indulge her a bit, I picked up the Whiskas kitten food by mistake, only noticed once I'd taken the pouches out and ripped the box up.
My question is do you think it will make much difference to her? what different nutrients are in the kitten food to the ordinary whiskas.
Think I need to go to specsavers lol

ShelleyRose. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jan 2017 13:43

well the kitten one will have nutrients in it that kittens need rather than as adult cat

Quote :: Kitten food is specially designed to help give kittens the extra nutrients they need to grow and develop into healthy cats. It contains more protein, taurine (an amino acid vital to cat health), and vitamins and minerals than adult cat food does.

probably ok in small portions
While kitten food tends to be higher in calories, protein and fat, there is no actual danger in feeding this food to adult cats. In fact, during pregnancy and nursing, it is advised to feed the higher calorie, higher fat food to expectant and nursing mothers. The only potential danger would be obesity from over-consumption of calories and fat.
Read more at http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/feed-kitten-food-to-an-adult-cat
Follow us on Twitter: @FelineNutritio

do you have any of her usual food still . you may be able to mix them together

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 18 Jan 2017 13:57

My old girl of 15 often eats the youngest ones food with no ill effects though I try not to let her get at it. As Shirley says a little won't hurt

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Jan 2017 14:34

Of course cats can tell one brand from another more's the pity!

My snr cat will sell his soul for MonPeitit which he gets (when on offer) for a treat along with Sainsbury Chicken special, Encore but his staple is Gourmet Perle. He is also v keen on Gourmet Soups. He won't eat dry food and it is not a great choice for male cats anyway. I trry and keep the cost down but as he weighs 10kg it is not so easy.

Since being a kitten he won't touch anything from Whiskas.

He also likes the carcass of birds esp game birds. His bit of the recyling effort I guess.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2017 23:22

It's not going to hurt him.
Despite what the manufacturers try to convince you is in their food, it's all much the same.

When I was young, and living in Scotland, we had a cat that was initially fed on Kit-e-Kat and lights (brains), plus all the rodents etc she caught (though we believe the injured Great Northern Diver she brought back home wasn't one of her 'catches' - just a chance meeting).
When we moved to Mevagissey, she'd go down to the harbour, get a fish, and bring it back to be cooked!!
It was boiled, and when it had cooled, if we weren't quick enough, we'd hear her take the lid off the pan, remove the fish and eat it!! This was in addition to her other food, as she had 'caught' it.
We moved again, and she was fed canned cat food (sister & I were looking after her by now). Even when she 're-located' to the pensioners at the end of the road (her choice - there was a baby in our house) she was fed canned food (any variety - no-one thought about it), and, I believe quite a few tinned pilchards.
She lived to the grand old age of 22.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jan 2017 11:40

I have always given my cats (and Fred for that matter) a choice because I am kindness incarnate.

They can eat what I get from Aldi or they can go without.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jan 2017 12:05

Not having visited Aldi for years a little while ago I went into a new branch of the store hoping for some bargains with cat food top of the list. I was amazed at the vast "choice" of own brand poor quality ersatz crap for most anything. Guess it will be several more years before I make another visit.

Don't believe their propaganda there are better options.

Now and then Lidl can be ok though.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jan 2017 14:47

That would not have been an Aldi. That would have been a value judgement.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jan 2017 16:45

will Aldi make a value judgement on its pricing for cheap eastern European and Asian goods as the £ shimmies downwards showing off its unmentionables (city of London) while diving ever lower?

will Hampshire put up its council tax by 15% so as to save care services and rural buses like its neighbour Surrey ?

will roadkill be on the menu for puss puss ?

will the pet passport survive or will the lucrative quarentine arrangements return?

will my vet be deported ?

Is the Uk as a European country a value judgement ?
Evidence from Davos is maybe maybe not maybe Dermot knows he has a hot line to the Times of London.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jan 2017 16:53

btw all major supermarkets will do a swap / refund on cat food I hhad no trouble with this with Tesco/JS/Waitrose even when posh paws took against a new flavor with 12 packets - the return of 11 untouched remainder was sufficient.

Waitrose even gave me a box of their best own brand free - which ppaws turned down but was eaten gratefully by one of the local street cats.

The choice of cat food in France is nowhere near so good as in the UK - the French believe in tough love for pets despite their own pickiness. Right now this is giving me conserable angst. You cannot make a cat redundant as Larry has proved.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Jan 2017 19:19

What a load of absolute tosh. Cats, dogs or whatever eat what they are given, end of.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jan 2017 19:20

What?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jan 2017 22:01

No they don't. That's why my cat brought her fish back to be cooked!! :-D

She didn't like raw fish.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jan 2017 09:03

They don't ISP

Mine will sniff it and walk away if it doesn't smell right

Plus my vet told me to change my elderly cats food because she was getting kidney problems but to do it gradually by mixing small amounts of the new food in with the regular one and to increase it slowly This was to disguise the smell and taste of the new one plus to avoid tummy upsets from changing the food

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 20 Jan 2017 12:03

Thank you all for your replies, I have some of the same flavour Whiskas original so will mix the kitten food in with it. thanks Shirley-I'm getting the hang of it for putting up the nuitritional values of the kitten food. If I hadn't been in such a rush around the supermarket I may have realized I'd picked up the wrong box of food. I definitely need to go to specsavers lol.

Shirley I'm getting the hang of it, do you mind me asking what food did your vet suggest you give your cat (our Gwyneth has got a kidney problem) just wondered if it might help her.

ShelleyRose. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jan 2017 12:13

it was one i got from the vet originally , sorry cant remember now as we lost her 4 years ago aged 17plus

i seem to remember it can be bought outside but the little moo wouldnt eat it so i returned the unused ones to the vet. I

I tried to gradually introduce the new one but she soon cottoned on and walked away from it

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 20 Jan 2017 12:19

Thanks Shirley-I'm getting the hang of it for your reply,

she quite happily eats the same as RolloTheReds cat, if I hadn't destroyed the box I could've taken the kitten food back lol. I'm sure she'll enjoy the kitten food mixed with her ordinary Whiskas.

ShelleyRose. x

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 Jan 2017 13:26

My feline boys only go off something after I've bought the jumbo sized or bogoff version of it...

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Jan 2017 14:14

All but one of my cats have been strays who have come into my garden (having seen the invisible neon sign) and one of them would eat what my already pet cats had left, I remember putting out the cat treats they didn't want from their Christmas stockings (not spoilt at all!) and he gobbled those with alacrity.

Of course, as soon as they are in, they are most particular about what is served them, until they find out the house rules.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jan 2017 16:39

Shelley It was Hills science plan food , just looked it up