General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Going

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 11:21

Well, I think we will be taking Fred's mate to Newcastle after all.

NUFC were updating their website but the next Heroes Tour is still last March!

It will probably be the last Sunday in June that he does the tour and has his lunch and we have told him we are taking him to the new Ceebeebies Land because we can't afford to take him to Disney.

Can anybody recommend a frugal sort of hotel in Newcastle for a night, maybe two, preferably in sight of the stadium.?

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 May 2017 11:28

Good luck with your plans Sharron.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 May 2017 11:39

They've got a hotel with themed rooms at Ceebeebies Land :-D :-S

An absolute MUST if you fancy the worst nightmare ever! :-0

Robert

Robert Report 26 May 2017 11:49

Sharron, look up Hotels in Newcastle and you will see the prices. Or tell me what your price range is and I will make a list for you showing how near the ground they are. Newcastle is a very compact City and there several Hotels near the Ground and you are within half a mile of Eldon Square Shopping Centre.

Actually, I am going to a Charity Reception and Tour of the Stadium next week.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 11:56

Holiday Inn for preference, because they do a good breakfast.

I did Google it but was not really paying attention.

Do, please, let us know what the tour is like.We will most likely do the Sunday lunch one so that I will be forced to stay in the pub while they are going round the ground and what a terrible hardship that will be for me.

Thought we might leave after lunch with a view to either getting back home that night or tootling a bit, I fancy going to Flamborough again, and finding a B&B on the way back.

Robert

Robert Report 26 May 2017 12:02

I'll come back with Holiday Inns and others within a reasonable distance.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 12:06

Thank you.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2017 12:10

There's a Holiday Inn at Jesmond on the Coast Road but I think there's another elsewhere.

The Coast Road is busy, Sharron, but if you decide to stay there and if you like Italian food I can recommend a reasonably priced Italian restaurant on Osborne Road. The food is good, especially the pasta - I've been several times for lunch but not this year but I hear it is still good.

Not sure whether you're driving or not.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 12:12

Oh yes, we are coming up in the new Smart.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2017 12:43

Remember it's a party town and a popular venue for groups from all over, Sharron, so if you want to shimmy on down, you're likely to thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Dtr has just driven out after being there on business. She rang to let me know that it looks as though Bank Holiday celebrations have already started in Newcastle. :-D

Just looked at the HI website for Jesmond and it looks as though it has a good Italian restaurant too - and car parking and a shuttle service.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 13:02

There will be parking close to the stadium won't there?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2017 13:15

There are lots of car parking spaces in town, Sharron but I am not sure of the nearest to the footy ground as I've driven past and around it but always parked in Uni.

Robert and/or GeordiePride may know. If they don't know, message me and I'll find out for you cos my kids are often there.

The Newcastle and Durham Family History Society has a good facility there, above Barclays Bank, so if you have anyone to search take your notes with you.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 13:40

Really, I am just planning to get there in the evening, eat something, head down, sit in pub while they do the tour, have my dinner and shoot off.

Your having said it is a party town makes me wonder if we should do it on a weekday.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2017 13:55

I have never been into the stadium as I have grandchildren who support both Newcastle and Sunderland so, apart from the odd good natured ribbing when a team loses, I steer clear of anything pertaining to football.

There are a shed-load of pubs, cafes and restaurants in walking distance of the stadium so you will be spoilt for choice. However, there could be a bar and restaurant within the stadium area - I would expect so. My son, who would know is not in England at the moment.

Robert and GP are sure to know.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2017 13:57

Sharron, a weekday would probably suit you better. You'll also get cheaper hotel rates.

Have you googled NUFC website to check dates and facilities?

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 13:58

Oh yes, the pub is part of the deal. That is where the meal is served that is part of the tour.

Isn't Chinatown across the road?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2017 14:09

A short walk away, Sharron.

The tour including meal sounds good.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 May 2017 14:19

You can tell I'm not a footy fan, can't you!

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2017 14:31

I am sure my burning enthusiasm shines through too.

Robert

Robert Report 26 May 2017 15:15

Sharron,
Some Hotels nearest the Ground.

Sandman Signature Hotel - opposite the Ground

Holiday Inn Express, St James Boulevard - Half mile away.

Premier Inn Newgate Street -Half mile away

Royal Station Hotel, next to Central Station 1 Mile away

County Hotel, opposite Central Station 1 Mile away

These are the nearest, but plenty more slightly further away.